New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 trigger job
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to do a trigger job on a #1.I was planning on a reduced power sear spring and polishing the sear.The trigger pull is now just under 5 lbs.Will this reduce my trigger pull much???I really dont want to put in a differnt trigger so are there any other tips of what I can do for not a lot of money????Thanks ahead,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Without looking at the design i would not change the spring. i'd just polish the sear surfaces without changing angles. i would not want to guess how much it would affect the the pull weight.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I would like to do a trigger job on a #1.I was planning on a reduced power sear spring and polishing the sear.The trigger pull is now just under 5 lbs. Will this reduce my trigger pull much???I really dont want to put in a differnt trigger so are there any other tips of what I can do for not a lot of money????Thanks ahead,OB

Measure the trigger pull of the free trigger without the rifle cocked. That force is the contribution of the sear spring to the trigger pull weight. If the spring was removed completely it would reduce the trigger pull by the amount of the free pull weight.
If you care to tinker with "Hooks law" you can calculate the spring rate of your spring.
Then look at a Lee spring catalog and calculate which springs will give you a reduced pull.
You can do all of that without altering your rifle but it does require removal of the spring to find out how much it is compressed and it's spring rate.
With this knowledge you could tune most rifles for about $1.00 worth of springs.
But it all assumes exercise of reasonable judgment to avoid a lethal setup.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I would like to do a trigger job on a #1.I was planning on a reduced power sear spring and polishing the sear.The trigger pull is now just under 5 lbs. Will this reduce my trigger pull much???I really dont want to put in a differnt trigger so are there any other tips of what I can do for not a lot of money????Thanks ahead,OB

Measure the trigger pull of the free trigger without the rifle cocked. That force is the contribution of the sear spring to the trigger pull weight. If the spring was removed completely it would reduce the trigger pull by the amount of the free pull weight.
If you care to tinker with "Hooks law" you can calculate the spring rate of your spring.
Then look at a Lee spring catalog and calculate which springs will give you a reduced pull.
You can do all of that without altering your rifle but it does require removal of the spring to find out how much it is compressed and it's spring rate.
With this knowledge you could tune most rifles for about $1.00 worth of springs.
But it all assumes exercise of reasonable judgment to avoid a lethal setup.

Thank you.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote