Find
Notify
Tools

Savagte/Stevens model 67 customization
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
Another question for all you gunsmithing types. I have a Savage/Stevens model 67 pump action shotgun. I am considering some upgrades and would like your opinion on the advisability of them.

1) I would like to go with choke tubes in leiu of the fixed choke. Since I alread have standard invector chokes on my BPS, I was thinking of having the barrel threaded to this pattern, Or possibly Invector Plus.

As an addendum to this, years ago I contacted Savage and they said they would do the work as they made the 67 in a choke-tube model using their brand of tubes, however they wanted 80 bucks at that time, and I was in college and did not have the cash. Since then, they have been restructured corporately, and I do not know if they would accept this work any longer. In any case I really doubt they would be too keen on using a competetor's thread pattern. Cost for this?

2) As long as the barrel was chucked up in the lathe, I was wondering if the chamber could be opened up for the new 3.5" shell. These did not exist, or were just coming out when I was given the shotgun. Would this entail opening up the receiver? Cost for this? PS the shotgun is a non-takedown model.

3) How does the camo treatment from Trebark wear? I am thinking of having the shotgun done like this.

Now I know some of you may be thinking "just trade her in", but this was a Christmas present from my Dad, and that is just not in the cards.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<sormi>
posted
Joe,

You know what i'd do?? Not touch the shotgun at all. If it was a gift from your Dad just keep it for memory's sake. Now scrape up around $600-$1000 and go get you a kick ass shotgun that has it all! Keep your old shotgun over the fireplace to remember all the good times you had with it. You will be happy with the preformance of your new shotgun too.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree. I would bet you can buy the Mossberg Pump that handles 3.5" shells with choke tubes cheaper than having the proposed work done.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
I have two model 67's. I would not want them chambered for 3-1/2inch shells. They were not originally designed for these loads. I recommend getting a shotgun that is factory chambered for 3-1/2's.