New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to but bluing salts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The only salts I have ever used is Oxynate #7 from Brownells. I've had good success with it but my last 2 batches didn't seem to last very long. (That's kind of a seperate issue). They are getting a little spendy too. Where else can you buy salts. I've heard of a couple different salts but can't find where to but them. Is there a less expensive option?

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past I mixed my own. You can go to a pool supply house and buy caustic soda flakes (sodium hydroxide) and ammonia nitrate (the fertilizer) and mix them if I remember correctly 2 to 1 respectively. They blue very well and last, for a fraction of the price. I'd double check on the ratio first though.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Problem with mixing your own is I can never find a true up to date formula.

Dulite.com is a good plan B

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Here is one formula:

http://www.knivesby.com/blueingsalts.html

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Thanks Canuck
The ones I've found were Mercury based spirit niter nasty stuff i had no intention of using.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote