New
Find
Notify
Tools

rings and bases that are light weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the best light weight rings and bases out there for a light weight rifle build up?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talley One Piece, Light-Weight Alloy rings.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
S&K rings and bases are also quite light, but are quite a bit more expensive than the Talley LW's.

Unlike the Talleys, they do permit windage adjustment. They are also all steel, whereas the Talleys are aluminum.

I have both, I like both.

Regards, Wayne E

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used Conetrol on mine

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the Talley Lightweights. My only gripe is that they are a bit high for a 40MM scope. Their lows are about like a Leupold medium.

Posts: 14 | Location: Southwest Virginia | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
I was talking with fellow member Klaus aka scubapro and he has a titanium mount. here's his link.

www.titanium-gunworks.de

The site isn't in english but if you PM him I'm sure he'll help you out.

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Klaus is a good friend of mine and I will assisit with anything in the US. I know some people are a little leary of dealing with overseas companies, but no need to worry about Klaus. If there is ever a problem, help needed installing, or whatever, I can step in on this side of the pond.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Talley Lightweights are simply superb. They are also quite reasonably priced. They are the same mounts that Melvin Forbes uses on his Lightweight boomers (Talley makes them for him) and so they will hold up to just about any recoil you can take. Use the Talleys and don't look back.
I had a set of the S&K's and they were OK. I guess if you had a mis-drilled reciever and really needed windage adjustments in your mounts they might be a way to go. Usually you don't need windage in your bases.
Millet rings are junk, I wouldn't use them on anything that kicks harder than a 22. I've had them break on me and will never use them again. Why use junk when you can get the best for the same price or less..................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Talley's are Melin Forbes mounts he uses on his NULAs. They are well thought out yet simple, rugged and ultra-light. If you don't need access to fixed sights, they are an excellent choice.

I would not opt for a windage adjustable mount to overcome mis-aligned scope base holes in a receiver. If they are mis-aligned, they need to be corrected.

GVA

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
I don't see a down side to the windage adjustment capability, if it allows you to keep the scope windage adjustments optically centered. With the S&K or Conetrol mounts, you are not sacrificing mount security for the option of windage adjustment, as you do with Redfield or Leupold STD style mounts.

Even scope mounting holes that are lined up with the bore axis typically necessitate some windage adjustment to get things zeroed.

The S&K, Conetrol, and Talley rings are all light, and they all served their intended purpose well. The aesthetics and price points vary widely. Its nice to have choices.

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Talley's lightweights. Gary and DJPAINTLES said it all. Got them on my sheep and goat gun.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I posted on the other light weight mount thread last week, I prefer the Gentry rings and bases. THey are very strong and as light or lighter than anything out there. I have found nothing tat is actuahlly lighter weight. You can also easily take off another 1/2 ounce, and more if you are daring. Weigh rings and bases on a postal scale and you will quickly realize that used car salesmen make up the listed weights for rings and bases.

I do not like the Talley because they are one piece. Recievers are tapped out of line and you get no play at all in a one piece unit. At least with the Gentrys you get windage and a little "self-centering" in actual practice.

The S&K is the same design, and the Conetrol is similar.

If I could not get Gentreys, then I would weigh soem Conetrols or use Talleys as the third choice. Plus the Gentrys and S&K are steel and incredibly strong.

But for some reason, people on this board love to bash all things Gentry. I like them because they always pick up the phone when I call (no machines talking to me) and either answer my question on the spot or they call me back in short order with my answer. I like their products and will continue to use them.

And when building true fly-weight rifles, every half ounce counts. Gentreys really shine in that arena.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
besides the Talley Lightweights in 1 piece he also makes the standard rings and bases of the 2 piece model in the lightweight aluminum hard alloy material. I have them in the quick detachable style and they don't get any better. They are very light, strong, detachable with the levers and they look great. They are not listed in the catalog or on his website...you have to call and request them.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that it's an interesting discussion on whether it's better to have a mount capable of windage adjustment vs simpler 1 peice base/ringbottom.

I personally think that the less screws you have the better. Every screw in a mount is something that can potentially come loose at the worst possible time. I would rather dial in 10 more clicks of windage on my scope than have 2 extra screws in my scope bases.

I can also see that other people might be of a different opinion and be just as right.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote