New
Find
Notify
Tools

want to glassbed a hs precision stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a Rem 700 short action rechambered to a 6/284 and installed the barreled action to an hs precision stock. The barrel is a 1.25x30" stainless, and I think some bedding around the chamber section would help take some stress of the action screws. I need advice on installing the bedding compound around the recoil lug. I've heard conflicting instructions from several gunshops in town. Do I need to keep the sides and the bottom free, and only have bedding material on touching the front and rear. Groups sizes hover around 3/4"@ 200 yards(5 shots). But the first three are almost touching. The next two seem to open it up, so I'm thinking some bedding would help. I haven't bedded anything before, but it doesn't seem like rocket science. I'm fairly handy at most things and follow directions well.
Thanks for any help

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try over at 24hourcampfire.com ----- one of the members just put some good illustrations on how to glass bed a H.S. stock. Look here!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB44&Number=149753&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post150017

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million. Thats exactly what I needed. I think I'll bed the first several inches of barrel also- just to the end of the chamber.
One of the bedding illustrations I've seen about any kind of bedding.
Which is considered the front of the recoil lug. The side facing the action or the side facing the muzzle?

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carverelli:
Thanks a million. Thats exactly what I needed. I think I'll bed the first several inches of barrel also- just to the end of the chamber.
One of the bedding illustrations I've seen about any kind of bedding.
Which is considered the front of the recoil lug. The side facing the action or the side facing the muzzle?

The side facing the muzzle is the front of the recoil lug. Bedding compound should not touch this-----just the back side of the recoil lug. Good luck and use a good release agent so you don't glue your action to your stock!

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote