New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disc Sander
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all, what is a good, reasonably priced disc sander? Is Jet any good? Delta makes one with a return built in you just hook a shop vac to.

thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several Delta tools, radial arm saw, table saw, miter saw, cordless drill and drill press...have never had a bit of problem with any of them except a belt/disc sander. They sent the new part out priority mail, no questions asked and haven't had a bit of problem with it since then, about 3 yrs now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Delta tool. Hope this helps you............

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
All I can say is, get a 12" disc sander. The smaller ones, especially the combo's are really toys. There is a huge difference in what you can do with a 12" disc vs a smaller one. Also put money into good abrasives. The Norton stuff is well worth the money, cuts for a long time and doesn't clog up.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was planning on the 12" non-combo type. This is going to be specifically for grinding recoil pads to fit. I have no idea how I will fit it into my overcrowded shop, but will come up with a creative solution.

Red

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
harbourfreight as a 12" disk and 6x48 belt for 229 delivered.... backorder for about 2 more weeks...

it's going in MY shop

jeffe

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red
I learned how to grind recoil pads on a 12" Delta, but after using a 6"X48" belt sander I'll never go back to a disc sander.
Just my 2cents
gunmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to use the disc sander with one of those hanging jigs that is supposed to carry the lines out properly into the pad as you grind it to shape, as sold by Brownells and NECG. What do you use with your belt sander?

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use my hand to hold the stock with the pad installed. The stock is a great long handle and I allways have one hand near the forend tip for control. My fingertips on the other hand are usually on the back of the pad. Without a cheek peice it's very easy because you can point the forend up for the whole pad. If the stock has finish I put two layers of tape around the finish and grind through the first layer. Then I buff it with a hard compound wheel to remove the sanding scratches on the hard rubber part of the pad and smooth the rubber. It's much easier for me to use the belt sander because the belt is pulling down all the time. On the disc it pulls down on one side pushes up on the other and across on top. It blasts you in the face with sanding crap. I haven't used the Brownell's jig so I can't give you any tips on it's usefullness.

I know many stockmakers use a disc sander but I just never felt very comfortable with it.

gunmaker