New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40-65 alteration to .405WCF
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a .40-65 High Wall (modern steel barrel) be rechambered to .405WCF? They are both .40 but I don't know if bore and groove are the same or if the chamber will clean up. Maybe the barrel could be set back and rechambered if the .40-65 chamber is too big to clean up? Any clues would be appreciated.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting stupid in my dotage, of course the.40-65 is a fatter case than the .405 so barrel would have to be set back even if bore and groove are OK. And what about twist?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have now been told the .40-65 is a .408 and the .405 a .412 so I guess idea won't work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the 40/65 was a blackpowder round it could be loaded with smokless to much higher pressure.
Problems; Check the diameter of the firing pin, The barrel may not last long, and you will be ruining a nice old rifle.
If it were mine I would sell it and buy a Ruger. If your highwall is in any sort of shape
buy two Rugers.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkins, have abandoned the idea.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you're trying to achieve but a 40/65 Win. in a modern gun (like my Browning 1885 BPCR) using smokeless powder and jacketed bullets will do anything a 405 Win. can...and more. The real problem is jacketed bullet selection. .41 cal pistol bullets work ok but are light. The only jacketed bullets (that I know of) for the 40/65 are 260g JFP's. I've never tried it but I'm sure the Browning high wall with a crome moly barrel could handle very powerful smokeless/jacketed loads.