Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting M'94 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Was at my favourite close-by gun shop again today. Fondled a M94.

It is a 26" 1/2 octagon-1/2 round barreled, 1/2 magazine rifle with the steel "rifle" buttplate, and a serial number which indicates 1895 as the year of manufacture.

Barrel is obviously a Winchester factory barrel, BUT....

The caliber is .32 Win Special. It is my understanding that the .32 Win Special was not introduced until late 1901 or early 1902!

So, now the question is, "Was it a Winchester factory re-barrel?" It was certainly done perfectly by whoever did it, and the age appears to perfectly match the age of the serial numbered part of the gun. Gun is in about 80-85% condition.

I could get it at a decent price, so I'd like to ask you guys...does anyone know when Winchester began offering re-barrel work for 1894s? Did they put any kind of a factory mark anywhere to show they had rebarreled them?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found this on a website:

Winchester Model 94, speical order! It has a 26" 1/2 round, 1/2 octagon!! Very rare version!! It has the half lenght mag tube. it is a 32WS, factory opened sights, factory steal butt plate. I think the wood is factory, but might of had a coat of varnish added to it. blue is factory, turning a nice gray/brown on the recevier and barrel, no major rust. SN is 4637xx. now for the few problems, the right sight of the foreamr has a crack at the end, see pics. on the bottom of the barrel, has a spot on the barrel (see pics), that has been cleaned, or repaired, and a very small hole at the end, does not go all the way through. side clips have some old welding on it. will make someone a very rare shooter or collector. Email me for any questions. I am a store front dealer, and I will close s if the gun sells locally. Once ahas reached my reserve, I will pull it from my shelves. Buyer pays $25 shipping and insurance to your FFL, in the lower 48. I can add a new hard case for shipping for $20 if the buyer wishes. AK, HI is extra. Buyer has a 3 day unconditional return right, from the day UPS delivers to your dealer. Buyer pays shipping both ways if the gun comes back. I am always looking for good clean, old original Winchesters to buy, consign, or trade. I will leave feedback as soon as the buyer leaves feedback on me. Email me with any questions, and good luck!

He's asking $699 for it.

Here's the website:

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100217883

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The gun I was looking at appears to me to be a much cleaner rifle, judging from that seller's description. This one has no rust, no welding, no cracks and no extra holes visible anywhere.

I don't plan to buy it anyway. Was just wondering if there is any way to confirm whether it was a factory rebarrel.

Thanks for the comparison though...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the factory VP proofs on the barrel and receiver are aligned with each other then it was a factory rebarrel or else original (!?). A letter or phone call to the Cody museum will tell the tale. Their records will indicate whether the rifle was ever returned to the factory although the reason is very seldom given.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote