New
Find
Notify
Tools

burr in chamber = scratched brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My new Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223 Rem appears to have a burr in its' chamber which results in deep scratches on my brass upon extraction. A friend suggested that I coat a case with valve grinding compound and work it through the action a bunch of times to see if that would polish it out. Any thoughts or suggestions as to this course of action? I could send it to a gunsmith, or back to Remington, but I would hate to miss the best part of varmint season. It does need a trigger job, too, in the worst way, so if I could get a quick turnaround on it, the gunsmith might be a good way to go. Appreciate any responses.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a M700 some time ago and found the burr was on the edge of the chamber/rear barrel edge and not in the chamber it self. If you chambered a round and held it straight when extracting it slowly the burr didn`t make contact. If you ran it through normally it rubbed on extraction and scratched. I took mine back to the shop I bought it from and they buffed it out, I believe I recieved it back the very next day.
I wouldn`t polish the chamber until I knew for sure that is where the burr is.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
My new Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223 Rem appears to have a burr in its' chamber which results in deep scratches on my brass upon extraction. A friend suggested that I coat a case with valve grinding compound and work it through the action a bunch of times to see if that would polish it out. Any thoughts or suggestions as to this course of action? I could send it to a gunsmith, or back to Remington, but I would hate to miss the best part of varmint season. It does need a trigger job, too, in the worst way, so if I could get a quick turnaround on it, the gunsmith might be a good way to go. Appreciate any responses.

No offense to you, but your friend is an idiot to suggest such a thing. Where it is a new gun, I would locate a factory authorized gunsmith and let them take care of it, or, send it back to the manufacturer, it should be covered under warranty.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the burr is on the edge of the chamber or more likely the feed ramp. These will scratch the hell out of a case, I've seen it before. Look at the feed ramp carefully.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac is right. I have a Remington 700 from 1965 that had three burrs in the chamber. Probably from chips caught on the reamer. I tried the polish with the case trick but I did not use anything as aggressive as valve grinding compound. Didn't work! If the burrs are forward in the chamber you need a reamer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
I'll bet the burr is on the edge of the chamber or more likely the feed ramp. These will scratch the hell out of a case, I've seen it before. Look at the feed ramp carefully.

This is what causes the scratches on brasss run through my 243 SPS. The pressed steel mag box has a very sharp lip where it lies next to the feed ramp, this lip is high enough to scratch brass on it's way in to the chamber. If I could be bothered I'd chamfer it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
Westpac is right. I have a Remington 700 from 1965 that had three burrs in the chamber. Probably from chips caught on the reamer. I tried the polish with the case trick but I did not use anything as aggressive as valve grinding compound. Didn't work! If the burrs are forward in the chamber you need a reamer.

And if you use a reamer, you'll have to back the barrel up to "deepen" the chamber & remove the rough areas. Best send it to Rem as suggested or a smith to do it right if you're in a hurry for it and don't mind footing the bill. An authorized repair facility might be the best (as someone suggested) but IME, they are mostly parts changers. Might be able to get a new barrel shipped out overnight (to the repair facility) & installed though, if Rem is in a good mood (don't count on it) Smiler That might get you back in business pretty quick if they could do the barreling without much effort.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you do anything, check the right hand bolt rail on the top side. Often there is a sharp corner left when the slot is broached. The extractor kicks the case up into this area when the case leaves the chamber and when you keep moving the bolt to the rear it will scratch the case. A small long stone will take off the sharp corner easily. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
In many mass production rifles,time is not taken as it should sometimes. After cutting a chamber, one should use a llittle tool called a bearing scraper to champfer the sharp edge of the chamber and this will eleveate your problem. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote