THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Stainless Colt 45 acp up-grades...your help REQUIRED!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Colt 45 acp up-grades...your help REQUIRED!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Colt stainless 45 acp. It has the pointed, extender hammer style, looks like a check mark.

In our area 'home invasions' are increasing with very little media attention...duh...

I wear work shorts to bed and in my pocket is my 45 acp...no round in the chamber...the noise coming thru our door and a long hall way 'should' provide me time to cycle a round.

On thing, that damn long hammer snags my clothes. I think a hammer round with a hole in the center would in fact be nearly snag free.

Will you provide me with help and choices and how to rememdy this problem?

Next, it has a nylon trigger which in my limited experience with a semi auto a nylon trigger sucks...or does it...

Need you help on this to...

Thank you in advance for taking your time to enlighten me..

regards,
BL

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can think of many other more suitable guns for wearing in shorts !!!Smaller , lighter hammerless such as a Kahr available in 9,40 and soon a 45acp.Or a small Glock even a shrouded revolver like a J frame S&W.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a copy of BROWNELLS gunsmithing catalog and you will be amazed at what is available. The hammer you want is commonly referred to as a "Commander" hammer, as it first appeared on the Colt Commander. If you change to this type of hammer you will probably need to also change the grip safety as the grip safety will be too long and not allow the hammer to reach full cock. They also have a large selection of triggers made of steel, stainless, nylon, and aluminum. I agree with you, nylon triggers are a terrible idea as are nylon mainspring housings that most of the new Colts come with. Both are very inexpensive to swith to steel parts, and it is a shame you have to upgrade a factory firearm that costs so much to begin with. Hope this has been of some help and you can e-mail me or send pm if you have any other questions I may be able to help with.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
Hope this has been of some help and you can e-mail me or send pm if you have any other questions I may be able to help with.

the changes in this new site are not user friendly...don't know how to pm...and that's BS because the older system was a snap to learn and a piece of cake to use...

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beltloop....
congomike@yahoo.com

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote