Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel setup???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few questions about barrel setup and reamers:
How do you cut 60 degree on the barrel blank when getting ready to thread between centers?
How do you indicate the bore for crowning?
Is it possible to convert solid pilot reamers to floating pilot?

Thanks
vr
MR

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the way I indicated my barrel for crowning was to turn a piece of brass down to a snug fit in the bore, and indicated it in. I had the end of the barrel about 4-6" out of the 4-jaw chuck, as I recall.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy minus guage pins from J&L industrial online for about $2 apiece. If you get a few assorted sizes, they will fit the bore of most anything you need. For instance, if you do a 6mm barrel, the bore size is somewhere around .236 or so. Get a .2355, .2360, or a .2365 minus guage which are about .0002 under nominal. If you use these in the bore and indicate off them you will be damn close. If you want to cut a 60 deg center, after you indicate in the bore, turn your compound to 30 deg (60 deg included) and use a single point tool to cut. As for the reamer question, Dave Kiff of PPG can re-do your reamer for you.

[ 03-08-2003, 18:37: Message edited by: Jim Kobe ]

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jim do you have the J&L website addy?

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I indicate a barrel into a four jaw and spider on the back of the headstock.I do this using dial indicators on both the front and rear of the barrel simultaneously using a four jaw and spider with a piece of brass rod tightly fitted to both end of the barrel. I then use a 60 degree cutter from JGS#0-4 with a piloted insert held in a reamer holder on the tailstock. Turn the barrel around, re-indicate and re-cut the second 60 degree center.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the valuble info for a beginner.
vr
MR

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote