New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 550 action with the standard (06) boltface and was wondering about the compatability of barreling it in 338 Win mag. Is it a relatively easy conversion, or should I go with a Montanarifleman action set up for the magnum case??? It is actually for a friend that wants a good 338 and I'm wondering which would be the better route.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing??? Also, as long as I have everyone's attention, will the CZ 550 standard action fit in a Mauser 98 type inletting or are they too different. I was wondering about the availability of a synthetic stock for the rifle after it was barreled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I can help with the stock bit !! McMillan now make a stock specifically for the 30/06 length cz actions and it is called the AHR model. As you probably know McMillan make about the best composites in the buisness.

CZ also make a medium action which houses there 7mm rem mag maybe this might be a better option, I manot sure but I think the .338 will work in the cz with some tinkering. Pity they do not offer the chambering, but they do offer the 9.3x62 which is awful close and a bit milder on recoil !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks PC,
Now I need to find out if the action is suitable to convert to 338 or if it would be cost prohibitive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

make a post particularly asking for responses from J.Belk & other gunsmiths they will respond to that.

My guess is it can be done, by the way you have chosen the best action to do it as well CZ's rule [Cool]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
matt---

All that needs done to turn an -06 CZ into a 338WM is a rebarrel job, open the bolt face and a little judicious work on the extractor.

The stock inletting is unique and nothing else will work but a stock made for the CZ.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk,
Thanks! I was hoping it would be that simple for the action work, but was unsure since they offer a different action (maybe the same one?) for the magnum 7mm.

I'll let my buddy know it is do-able, he will be pleased to hear that.