THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who can I hire to machine me a small metal part??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who can I hire to machine me a small metal part??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If there is anyone out there wanting to make a few bucks, I need a machinist to make me a rectangular piece of steel approximately 5/8" wide x 1" long and 1/4" thick and radiused on one side to fit the underside of a Remington Model 7 action. It will also need an 8 x 24 hole drilled and tapped.

E-mail me at robjordan@citlink.net if you want the job for some cash. I can send a detailed drawing.

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I just did a similar job in aluminum for a CZ rim fire.

E-mail sent

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Had many offers to make the part. Thanks so much to all. Really appreciate the helpful nature of folks here. I found a guy to help me and all looks good.

Thanks again,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll piggyback here since Jordan is taken care of.

Anyone have experience making a part from an Ithaca Flues SxS called the cocking slide or the cocking hook or sometimes the cocking lever? This is the weak link on the Flues model, the most common odel encountered. When it wears the extractor timing goes bad causing hard opening and dragging of pins on primers. Then the owner removes it, tries to adjust it and it breaks. Ask me how I know.
Anyone want to attempt one of these?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how big of a hurry are you in Rob? I'm moving into a bigger shop on June 1st. After that I could do it.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, I tried to send you a private message. Jordan's part is already on its way to him. Need an email address, or contact Jordan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the appearance of that fracture, I would say it was hardened like a file instead of a gun part.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another point to consider, when making the new part, radius the ends of that slot to eliminate the sharp corners.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would probably make it out of stainless. This would also be an opportunity to apply any adjustments or to leave material enough for final fitting by hand as needed.