New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Bolts...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Safely. How far could a Mauser 98 bolt be opened?

.540 perhaps?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is as far as I have gone.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .404 Jeffery has a rim diameter of 0.543", while the .500 Jeffery has one of 0.575.
With the .500 the little noses at the bolt face opposite of the extractor became very thin and have a tendency to break, especially after rehardening.
So to be safe I would stick with the diameter required for the .404.

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I opened one (Siamese Mauser) to about .610 to handle the .45-70 rim. It might be best done with a .015 tool nose radius. I did not have any problems with it. But I did not use that rifle for any emergency rapid fire purpose.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15lb varmint rifle. Currently a 22 Savage HiPower Improved and necked to take .224" bullets. Very Baroque in shape. Imagine a cross between a 1950's Wby and a bench rest rifle stock.

The issue is: bought the rifle, but no dies were with it. Can't make brass that will fireform properly, and most of the head stamped stuff I have is like REM-UMC.

A friend has a set of reloading dies, and forming dies for the 22 Krag FL. And 200 fireformed cases, for $300.

Hard to say no, if the Mauser bolt presents no issues being opened up.

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mauser bolts vary in hardness up there and some are easy to cut and some aren't. The hard ones have to be ground, not cut with a bit.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Safely. How far could a Mauser 98 bolt be opened?

.540 perhaps?
They've been opened for about 80 years to accommodate the 500 Jeffery rim diameter; the spec max for the rim diameter is 0.576".

I have two commercial FN M98 bolts opened for the 338 Lapua Magnum rim diameter; the spec max for the rim diameter is 0.588". Still a nice ring around the bolt face. I've not fired mine yet.

Ron Berry has the same commercial FN M98 action with bolt opened to the same 338 LM rim diameter. He's fired quite a few 12.7x68 Magnum (.500/338 LM Magnum wildcat) rounds through his rifle.

I believe Ed Hubble has opened the M98 bolt face to accommodate his 585 HE rim diameter. I believe his eliminated all remnants of the ring surrounding the bolt face.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about Rigby making .416 Rigby rifles from standard M98 actions, like Harry Selby's?
I don't think his was the only one ...

Brass Max rim on the .416 Rigby is .590".
In actual practice of brass production, the .416 Rigby and .338 Lapua Magnum usually have same rim diameter on the brass, within a tolerance of -.004" on their specified maximums.

CZ makes .505 Gibbs rifles (.640" brass max rim diameter) on the same diameter bolt as a standard or Magnum M98,
but of course, CZ metallurgy might be superior if there are questions about the heat treat on an antique Mauser?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
15lb varmint rifle. Currently a 22 Savage HiPower Improved and necked to take .224" bullets. Very Baroque in shape. Imagine a cross between a 1950's Wby and a bench rest rifle stock.

The issue is: bought the rifle, but no dies were with it. Can't make brass that will fireform properly, and most of the head stamped stuff I have is like REM-UMC.

A friend has a set of reloading dies, and forming dies for the 22 Krag FL. And 200 fireformed cases, for $300.

thanks,

Rich

Picture(s) of? And what are you trying to do with it?

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go look, but I think I still have one of those water form dies for the sav imp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, just had to go look.
228 hp ack hydraulic form it says. solid shell holder, reamer, die and plunger thingy.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Why not just rebarrel with a more easily usable cartridge?

No pictures?

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sonofagun and the group,

this rifle is just gorgeous, Balvar 6-24X scope by Vickery.

Do not want to mess with the exterior appearance. Bore is still very shiny and rifling is sharp.

Rechamber just seemed best in terms of preserving it and still shooting it.

thanks,

Rich

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

I believe Ed Hubble has opened the M98 bolt face to accommodate his 585 HE rim diameter. I believe his eliminated all remnants of the ring surrounding the bolt face.

+1. I'm not sure what the rim would have to do with safety per se. It controls the movement of the base of the case and feeding might get tricky without one, but I don't see what it contributes to overall strength.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok had to go back and pay attention to this.

Yes the Mauser bolt can be opened to accommodate the 30-40 Krag rim diameter (0.545”) with zero issues.

But – relooking at the history of the 22 Savage High Power identified it to be a derivative case of the .25-35 Winchester case which itself is a derivative case of the .30-30 Winchester – so no need to alter the bolt face using either of these two cases in lieu of the 22 Savage High Power brass.

I did a little research on the internet which indicates there are reloading dies, etc. currently available for the 22/30-30 Ackley Improved cartridge. I also noticed that 4D Products rents the 22/30-30 Ackley with 40º shoulder angle, here’s the link:
http://www.4-dproducts.com/dis...owid=36&tname=rental
You’ll need to check whether the 22/30-30 Ackley Improved is cut for .224” bullets rather than .228” bullets.

If cut for .224 bullets, this sounds like the simplest solution to your dilemma – as reamer, gauges are rentable while reloading dies and brass are readily available.

Good luck…

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote