Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Weatherby bedding from the Factory?
 Login/Join

posted
I just opened up my Weatherby to float it and get it ready to bed it and this is what i found. This is the 3rd stock they have put on the rifle during its life and have been very good about it with no questions asked. I never pulled the other 2 off to look and float so i don't know what they looked like.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yours has the recoil lug epoxied and the green spots are steel that is epoxied into the wood to give strenght.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just pulled one apart myself and it looks like the old model70 hot glue.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, ALL rifle stocks are "bedded". It is merely the recess in which the barreled action fits. I find it pathetic that the common usage of this term has come to mean filling in this recess with some form of epoxy!
Weatherby's did quite a bit of research on how to reinforce their stocks. What they came up with is an oak bar embedded in epoxy. They use a 2 part adhesive made by, I believe, 3M (the green stuff). As can be seen in the pic, they do epoxy bed the recoil lug.
Common thought these days also says that all rifle barrels must be free-floated. I would advise you to not free-float a light weight Weatherby barrel. They are "pressure bedded" for a reason.