New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser ?s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am cleaning up the last of a few projects, so it is time for a new one. I found 98s for $70 complete. Is this a good price? Is there a decent book that deals with customizing these actions. What can be done to them, how things are done so I can pick and choose what needs to be farmed out. I have the itch for a 6.5x55 with obscene wood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blueprinted:
I have the itch for a 6.5x55 with obscene wood.

Then go here http://samcoglobal.com/rifles.html and scroll down to the Swedish Mausers. They had Carl Gustafs M96 barreled actions for $169
You'd have to alter the bolt for a scope, put some wood on it, and do what ever you want with the barrel. Turn the steps out of it and shorten it or leave the steps and just shorten it. WaLa, 6.5X 55 sporter.
Or get a M38 with the short barrel.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blueprinted:
I am cleaning up the last of a few projects, so it is time for a new one. I found 98s for $70 complete. Is this a good price? Is there a decent book that deals with customizing these actions. What can be done to them, how things are done so I can pick and choose what needs to be farmed out. I have the itch for a 6.5x55 with obscene wood.

Just recently Shotgun News put out an issue that deals with customizing mausers. It may still be on a newstand at a large bookseller. I purchased my copy at Cabela's.

You can also purchase the book entitled Riflesmithing by Jack Mitchell from Brownells. It has a wealth of information on customizing mausers.

However, best of all, AGI puts out a series of video tapes on customizing a mauser. There is one 4 tape set, and one one tape set (dealing mostly with barreling). The investment is modest and the amount of information you will gain is worth the price.

you can find these on their web site.

americangunsmith.com