THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone fit a Verguiero barrel to a SR 98 Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a M38 Turk bbld(sewer pipe) action LR small threaded (.980) of course. Would like to make a budget sporter for a customer in 8x57. Looking at this on SARCO: https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/....jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

This is a small ring bbl but is counterbored. Curious as to whether it could be faced off and have the shoulder turned back to fit the Turk. Anyone done that? Looks like it might lose a thread and a half or so. That would leave 4 good threads. Added benefit is that it is already tapered.

Bob

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have not done it but 4 threads would be enough. Another good (meaning cheap) option is to take any 06 Rem 700 take off barrel and make it a 308. Plenty of meat to do that even on a large thread. I'll give you one.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster, If you are looking for an 8mm57 small ring barrel for a Turk Model 38 I have at least 20 of them.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a very gracious offer. Customer kinda locked into 8mm. I liked the Verguiero bbl 'cause it was already tapered like a sporter. We don't do re-barreling in the shop due to policy but we can and do farm it out. I may be contacting you if you are willing to take it on.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Have not done it but 4 threads would be enough. Another good (meaning cheap) option is to take any 06 Rem 700 take off barrel and make it a 308. Plenty of meat to do that even on a large thread. I'll give you one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by F. Guffey:
Bobster, If you are looking for an 8mm57 small ring barrel for a Turk Model 38 I have at least 20 of them.

F. Guffey