New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to clean/polish old mauser bolt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got an old mauser bolt for use on a project. How to get it look like new and shiny?
I got accsess to an sand blaster "box", what media to use? I want an "shiny" look not dull. Other methods?

STIGSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Stig:

I go for a slightly polished, but low gloss look.

1. Clean all the old grease and oil off of the outside surfaces and within the bolt. I use brake cleaner.

2. Determine what the brown surface is. If it is bluing or fine rust, then I use naval jelly to remove all the finish and/or rust. Just rub it in with an old tooth brush, and clean it off with hot water. You'll probably have to do this a few times. If its paint, then use paint remover.

3. Start sanding with 320 grit wet sandpaper and use oil as your lubricant. This should get rid of minor pitting, but don't go too far or the bolt will get wobbly in the action. Also, watch your corners, and use a sanding block to keep from rounding the corners.

4. I then proceed to 400 then 600 grit wet sandpaper.

5. If you want more shine, then get some old denim, thick cotton cloth and polish with JP Bore Polish.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but I've done about seven Mauser bolts and eight shotgun bolts and followers, and they look pretty nice to me.

I don't let anyone run a buffer on my stuff. I had one gunsmith screw up a nice Oberndorf bolt by running too hard on the buffing wheel.

Sandblasting will give you a matte finish, so that won't work for you in this case if you want a shiney finish.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote