New
Find
Notify
Tools

RugerM77 MkII Rebarrel Questions
 Login/Join

<DLS>
posted
I have a Ruger 77 in 223 win and want to rebarrel to 17 Rem.

I also have a Pacnor barrel in 17 Rem that is currently on my Savage 11G. I would like to use this barrel for this project. I understand that the barrel will have to be set back and rechambered. But I don't know if this barrel will work because the OD on it now is 1.058". The factory barrel on the Ruger is 1.156". Measured with a v. caliper.

Does this barrel have enough Diameter to work on the Rugers Receiver?

Thanks,
Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really. However, if the Savage nut is still being used, it is possible to rethread to the Ruger for an appropriate distance (about .700 I think)then utilise the Savage nut on your ruger.
Plan #2 would be to thread at 1x16tpi for a distance of about 1 3/4 inches then thred a sleeve to go over this section. Contour the sleeve to the barrel and cut to yield the correct shank length and headspace. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Dan,

If you can do without the extra barrel length and you have sufficient material at the breech, look at the posibility of whacking the entire thread shank off and redoing it for the Ruger.

One of the benefits of rebarreling Savage rifles is the opportunity to do away with the stupid barrel nut design completely. When you're finished, take the barrel nut fishing with you, they make excellent weights.
[Wink]

Malm

<DLS>
posted
I don't want the barrel nut on the Ruger. So the Ruger has a 1x16 Thread?

I guess I should have asked that too. [Smile]

thanks,
Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. The Ruger is a 1"x16TPI thread. If your barrel for the savage retains the nut it's diameter, at 1 1/16 (roughly), is insufficient to give you a reasonable shoulder since you would end up with only about .025" of shoulder. For this reason you have to make a shoulder in some way. The easiest way is to retain the nut and simply rethread to the correct length. It would not be necessary to rechamber unless you wish to do so. If you want to eliminate the nut all together and rechamber then you will still have to increase barrel diameter to provide sufficient shoulder. A sleeve could be soldered on and contoured to the barrel. A shrink fit is possible but care must be taken because it is possible to actually restrict the bore when doing this. I personally would either retain the Savage nut or make another, more attractive nut. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote