New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel recoil lugs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do any factory rifles like Winchester Safari models come with these? I was thinking of buying one (or two) and trying to fit them to some rifles I have. I've looked through the whole factory parts section in the back of the Brownell's catalog, without any luck.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Why?

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the name implies, recoil! 458 Lott, 416 Taylor.

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

My Model 70 Safari Express in 416 Remington Magnum comes with a barrel recoil lug. They milled a small flat and welded the lug to the barrel. Mine is about 1 1/2 years old, so can't be sure that they still use this technique.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I have a Whitworth 375 ,it has a recoil lug on the barrel but has 2 screws holding it there. If I was going to use one, would use screws or solder. If the barrel was a real shooter welding might be to hot for the barrel

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Never seen the need for a barrel mounted recoil lug myself. Well, not on anything up to and including a 460 Weatherby mag. I have a friend who has a 460 Weatherby that doesn't have the extra lug and it works just great. If heavy recoil were a factor for having one, then this weapon would have one. If the action and stock is properly bedded, you should not need a second lug. Of course, if having one attached to the barrel makes someone comfortable, then I have a coffee can around here somewhere full of barrel lugs I have removed over the years and you are welcome to them.

Years ago (when I was young and innocent) I bought a 66 Chevy Impala from a not so innocent used car salesman in Southern California, not because the car had a .427 Chevy RAT engine under the hood, no sir, but because the engine was anchored to the frame with heavy chrome chains as a backup I was told in case the motor mounts failed due to the torque that the engine produced... What a bunny!
[Smile]

Malm

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Getzen:
As the name implies, recoil! 458 Lott, 416 Taylor.

See above post, that is why. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm,

I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy. I had a few problems early on with the Taylor, caused by moi; I failed to notice that the front screw was either bottoming out in the front receiver screw hole, or sticking in the threads, before it really pulled the lug down snugly into the lug recess. I know, pretty stupid thing to miss... [Frown]

I'll take you up on your offer, if you're serious -- I have two fairly heavy profile barrels (Douglas #5 and A&B F44) that I plan to put them on about 4" - 5" in front of the receiver.

Please send me an e-mail if you find them, I'll pay whatever they're worth to you...

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW the lug welded to the barrel confirms my suspicion about why I didn't see any in the catalog.

Todd

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
You could make your own. Mine is abought 3/4" long 1/2" wide and 3/8" thick.

You will have to grind a flat spot on the barrel, drill and tap it
PLEASE BE CAREFULL!

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
As most of you know I'm a firm believer in second recoil lugs on the barrel. My stocks don't crack this way. The legion of people who have built heavy kickers and learned the hard way can easily be found in the BIG BORE forum. I avoid all forms of welding and attach mine by screws and hi- force 44 solder. NO PROBLEMS!
G Malmborg-I suspect those chains were to keep the engine from popping the hood when the previous owner hit the hydraulics. You know, that bounching action!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote