Find
Notify
Tools

rifle metal refinishing?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
A friend has a pre 64 338 Win. in need of a refinish job. The rifle was used hard and put away wet. It has some mild rust. He is not interested in keeping the blue job original. I know there are several different materials used for refinishing today. I was going to recommend Parkerizing.
Any advice on type of finish and who to do it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he doesn't want a blued rifle, I would go with Cera-Kote. It is unbelievably tough stuff if applied correctly. Even a park under the Cera-Kote, even though it isn't necessary, wouldn't be a bad idea. It would be a hell of a tough finish. The nice thing about Cera-Kote is the natural lubricity of the coating. Very little if any, oil is needed to lube the bolt for proper functioning.

Stay away from Duracoat and Gun-Kote is pretty good for barrels that are going to be used for high volume of fire because it doesn't have any insulating property like the ceramic coating.

I sill would rather have a high mirror polished hot blued or even better rust blue rifle, especially if it is a Pre-64 M70.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
even better rust blue rifle

thumb If he wants blue and doesnt want to pay for a rust blue a cheaper option is a bead blasted blue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, a pre 64 338 is kind of a scarce commodity. Check this out and you might decide to restore it to original finish...rust blue WOULD be nicer, but not original. With restoration, great care must be taken to not "flatten out" stamping and polishing must not be overdone

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Early M70's lettering was applied prior to polish. Later guns were polished prior to lettering. Your 338 would fall into raised lettering on the barrel. Not that you are trying to fake anything, but polished lettering is the first thing a collector looks at.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
My friend is not a collector. He couldn't care less what the collector value of the gun is. It was a gift to him from a family member and he will never sell it. He is only interested in using the gun for moose and bear without the rust getting worse. Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fine bead blast, followed by an Oxpho Blue cold blue rub with a toothbrush, covered with oil and left over night, followed by a detergent scrub, followed with water rinse, followed with pat drying, followed with oil on a toothbrush, followed with wipe down with a rag, gives an excellent finish with little equipment, skill, or cost required.

Get an old $50 shotgun at the gunshow and try it first before the M70. Leave the shotgun out in the rain for a week. Bring it in a clean it up. I think you will find that the bead blast-cold blue-oil finish works much better than the factory hot blue.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Your friends rifle deserves a good refinishing. Either get it rust blued or caustic blued by someone that kows what they are doing and he'll get many years service out of it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
My friend is not a collector. He couldn't care less what the collector value of the gun is. It was a gift to him from a family member and he will never sell it. He is only interested in using the gun for moose and bear without the rust getting worse. Thanks for the responses.

http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

Excellent bead blast blue at a good price.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you get Cera coat? I had heard good things about Dura-coat, whats wrong with it?:
quote:
Originally posted by James_B:
If he doesn't want a blued rifle, I would go with Cera-Kote. It is unbelievably tough stuff if applied correctly. Even a park under the Cera-Kote, even though it isn't necessary, wouldn't be a bad idea. It would be a hell of a tough finish. The nice thing about Cera-Kote is the natural lubricity of the coating. Very little if any, oil is needed to lube the bolt for proper functioning.

Stay away from Duracoat and Gun-Kote is pretty good for barrels that are going to be used for high volume of fire because it doesn't have any insulating property like the ceramic coating.

I sill would rather have a high mirror polished hot blued or even better rust blue rifle, especially if it is a Pre-64 M70.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote