New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 54
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have broken the extractor on my model 54. Load is 130 grain Hornady, 55 grains IMR 4350, Winchester LR primer. Have used this loas in a number of 20=06's with no problem. I thibk it was just tyhat it is a 70 year old rifle. Problem
is can't find a replacement. Checked on line at gun parts no luck. I paln on calling them Monday.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Posts: 66 | Location: York PA | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Witness, The 54 extractor was not changed when the 54 morphed into the Model 70,thus a 70 extractor can be fitted by a competent gunsmith with little trouble. There is a difference in appearance at the "nose" on the earlier M 54 extractor versus later production and the M-70. Earlier M54's had a flat at the front face,which was changed to accommodate loose or floppy bolt/extractor combinations. The flat nose type could and did collide with the entry slot in the receiver ring during feed into the chamber. A continuation of the conical bevel cut which allows the extractor to close over a ctg rim in the chamber, as in down the spout loading, made the OAL of the extractor longer and permitted a bevel to be filed at the top of the now pointy end. This downward bevel off the flat lengthwise face of the extractor could then enter the receiver ring slot, without deterring the forward motion of the bolt. I mention this because this frequently comes up in discussions with owners who feel that they have received the wrong part.

You did not mention which of the 3 major variations of 54 you have. The earliest had a 2 piece fire pin, and the flat nosed extractor. This was changed to a one piece firepin, about 1929 ( give or take)and repair stations were authorised to install the later extractor and fire pin assembly at company expense. As late as 1946 these rifles could be sent in for a free change-over, but by then a modified complete M-70 speedlock bolt was installed plus the speedlock M54 trigger assembly.

Breaking the lip or the guide tongue off the extractor is most often the result of the greatly increased mechanical force required to extract cases which have been necksized only being actually greater in diameter than the chamber after firing.

Best solution is to order one of Matt Williams Machined M-70 Extractors. Triggerguard 1 on the forum

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. I din't know how many variations of the 54 there where, The extractor looked differemt than my pre 64, and the serial number is 5xxx, I am guessing this number being low is early production ??? I will contact Matt Williams and see what he says, thanks again.

Posts: 66 | Location: York PA | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote