Notify
Tools

Re: commercial mauser.....Alex Imports
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Quote:

TC1, is the legacy a different action than the Alex Imports one? I thought I had bought it from them but maybe it was an early manufacture.

Mine will clean up okay. I have a 1/2 round 1/2 octagon 9.3 barrel on it right now that I did at Mark Stratton's class at Trinidad in 2003.

It would seem they came out of the same mold, but the Legacy is more refined. The trigger was better on the Legacy, The safety was much better on the Legacy along with the fit on the bottom metal. The finish on the Legacy was much much better. Cycling the bolt on the Alex imports model was hacksaw rough. I think Chinese convicts do the assembly and finish work on the Alex import models. Like I said in my earlier post, this is the only "factory" rifle I've ever had reservations about shooting. That's not an exaggeration, I opted not to shoot it. I stuck it on Gunbroker for a penny and gave a very good description of what I had. If I remember correctly the auction ended at $390. The buyer told me he wanted it for the action, I think he paid too much!

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1, is the legacy a different action than the Alex Imports one? I thought I had bought it from them but maybe it was an early manufacture.

Mine will clean up okay. I have a 1/2 round 1/2 octagon 9.3 barrel on it right now that I did at Mark Stratton's class at Trinidad in 2003.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one from them about 5 or 6 years ago, and used it for my wildcat 375-9.3X64 rifle.

I agree that the action is rough...I guess I just kind of expected that.
I started by sending it to John Westrom (now deceased) who polished and slicked up the action (and worked on the crunchy safety).

I am very happy with my rifle (I purchased the action only), so I don't know what to tell you.
If you buy the action, it will need work by a good Mauser 'smith, but following that it will make a nice piece.

Perhaps buying a Montana action would be the more prudent thing to do.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Chic, I've owned a Legacy mauser action too. While the legacy does have a few rough spots on it, it's miles ahead of what the Alex imports Mauser is. I Think Doumlin(SP?) gets the 1st run's, Legacy gets the second's and Alex imports gets what should have been melted down and re-poured

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote