New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: richards microfit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Zach, A couple points, 1 the first rifle and the blank are both claro walnut. The 2 completed rifles were (highly modified) pre-inlets from Richards.
You can't see it in pictures but there are a couple spots I had to fix in the inletting. I have to show 95% of people where they are, they wouldn't find them on their own but I always want to try for perfection which is why I purchased a blank for a new project. Now if I can just find my Pre-War M-70 action.......
I'm still learning about stockmaking - the 2 rifles are my 3rd and 4th rifles I've stocked. I wanted to show that even though they might not be perfect that with some work you can make a rifle out of a Richards Microfit inlet that doesn't look too terrible.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Scot,

That is about the best assessment I have read. That is pretty much the way I see it.

I started on one of their semi inlets, a second I believe, simply because I was worried I'd screw it up. Surprisingly, I did much better than I thought. The blemish is all but invisible however their poor inletting could not be corrected. It was kind of a bummer in the end when my work surpassed my expectations but their poor inletting detracted from what would have been otherwise a nice handle. I suppose if I would have done worse I would appreciate the fact that is was a very inexpensive piece of wood.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks z1r. I guess to put it put it more clearly, they cater to the hobiests, not professionals.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhntr, I'm planning to work that blank without turning. My current project was a more expensive stick that was pantographed by a professional. It still had little spots that I'm not satisfied with. I want to work on one where all of the mistakes are my own..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Poor inletting I'd say. Service is beyond poor. There "satisfaction guaranteed" doesn't include shipping or the fact that they bitch and moan if you return something. They also have no idea what the dimensions of their stocks are. I called once and asked for DAH, DAT, and of they could install a toe-in pitched pad - you'd thought I was speaking martian. Worthless I say, worthless.

GAG is also fairly worthless...

Anyway...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of their seconds for a 8x57 sporter,I was quite pleased with the wood,it was showy Claro.The inleting was more the hogging out,which was fine with me.I ordered a rool-over to get more wood to shape.The faults and soft wood, I can fix with epoxy.The Rosewood forend and grip cap don't match,but the forend is a dead ringer for bloodwood,so that's what the cap will be.For what I paid, it is more than I expected,but it is also this winters project.Next time for a less showy blank,I will pay three times as much.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like we have mixed opinions here.

I'm looking to stock the 1917 in a more classic style stock. The bottom metal was already straightened out and was in a bishop stock. The stock was cracked but I didn't care cuz it was clubby and ugly at best.

I'm not looking for showpeice material because even though I know which end of a gouge to hold, my abilities are moderate at best. If the action was inletted good enough that I just have to remove material to fit it; I believe I could handle that.

I thought their classic 102 stock with an ebony 90 tip would be a sharp looking peice for well under $300. I'm gonna call them today and see if they "shop fit to their action". If they do I'm in business.

Now another question.

How about great american gunstock Co. The G&H also would fit the bill I'm guessing.

thanks.
turfman

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Excellent wood for the money. I don't like anybody's pre-inletting.

I bought a weatherby 2nd for $125 that came broken and to replace the broken stock they sent me the peice of wood that I made into this rifle:

The beauty of that wood is exceeded only by the obviously outstanding craftmanship with which you made those stocks!!

My next project was another piece of Richards microfit wood:

I don't know what this one originally cost because I got in in a deal from a buddy, but I doubt it was over $300.

I'm trying to decide on what to do with the last peice of wood I got from Richards. I think I paid $325 or so for it:

I hope this gives you a good idea of what you might get...........DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the one I tried to get from them. They sent the modern classic. These folks don't know anything about guns or gunstocks. Be prepared to be disappointed.

Hey on the M1917, Consiter removing the magazine box frame from the guard assembly. Set it up like a Model 70. You can use the remnants of the trigger guard by adding a floorplate catch. I have done it, it looks much better. This will make the stock much more trim and streamlined. Just straightening the guard makes it too flat on the bottom makes the stock boxie and ugly. Often the weld is not perfect and that detracts too. You will of course need to do your own inletting if you do this. Be sure and straighten the bolt.

If you ask for something special from Richards the odds are they will get it wrong. Be carefull.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

TC1, Sweet rifle, nice scope, nice wood....Who did the 1/4 rib?

Michael Scherz

928-783-3850

It's one of those pre-fab Dakota ones for a Shilen barrel.

It's a .300H&H

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1, Sweet rifle, nice scope, nice wood....Who did the 1/4 rib?

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thats outstanding Terry! Whats it chambered for? Very nice sharp distint detail, thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Started out life as a 7Mag and became a .300H&H a little bit at a time.

Thanks for the props

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1

very nice. So I guess what everyone is saying here is to go to a stockmaker and spend the extra money. Well I'd like to, but not on this project. As stated before I "do" know the sharp end of a gouge and work with wood on a regular basis,(traditional boyer)I've never done a rifle stock before and I thought a pre inlet would show me the good the bad and the ugly of it all. I figured if I don't have to worry to much about cleaning up the inletting I could concentrate on the channel, metal and finish.

I guess if it were a model 70 or 700 etc. I wouldn't be too concerned. But as other guys said before; the 1917 is clunky looking in its unaltered state and just a little less clunky after the bottom metal work. I don't want to get too excited with it; Just want to give the old whore a new dress of some sort.

Well maybe I'll get a utility peice so as I'll not be out a whole bunch of $

thanks
turfman

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Turfman, You can get the same stock as I did for as little as $65. Of course it won't have any figure in the wood, but it'll be a great way to start. These stocks come out of the box plenty rough, but with enough shape so you can see what it should look like when finished.

Terry