New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sears rifle question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a friend mentioned a JC Higgens rifle in .243- was there one, and if so, was it an FN Mauser?

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many were FN's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These were known as the FN 300 series

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
appreciated- if any other, what actions besides the FN might have been used?

also, what would the price be on one in NRA VG condition?

thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This "manufacturing work" was "job lotted" for bid by the big companies. Sears would ask for bids on 1,000 rifles and anyone who cared to bid (and looked like they could deliver) did. Post WW II the dollar was STRONG and much of the work came from Europe. I just remember when "J.C. Higgins" trademark was dying in favor of "Ted Williams." I remember that Mossberg, Marlin, and Savage did alot of .22's, my "speed" in those days and they handled Berretta including that rifle with a pistol action you could remove and use as a pistol... I was shocked to find a Win 94 without Winchester markings, called "Revelation" in the Western Auto Store... (I was young and ignorant, more so than now... I think.) I would hit the "blue book" with numbers and see what era the gun was from and all the possibilities. luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JC hiiggins rifles also had Husqvarna 1640 actions.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, Sears has at one time or another marketed rifles chambered in .243 made on actions by FN, Winchester (Model 70), Mossberg (Model 800, I believe), and maybe a couple of others. You'll need to see the actual rifle to determine its manufacturing origin.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
In the '60's Sears and Monkey Wards both offered sporterized Mausers.At that time the greater percentage were FN's. from Herstal.Later they started using Mauser actions from here, there and everywhere.

The early model FN's are still sought after. They were high quality guns for the time.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The early model FN's are still sought after

thaaaaat's why I'm interestedSmiler

thanks to all for your responses.