New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle transfer procedure to Alaska?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shipped a rifle to a FFL holder in Alaska that I sold to a guy Private party to private party transfer.

I guess the Gun Shop wants me, the seller, to fax my Drivers licence copy to them before they will reliese the rifle to the buyer. Which is no problem

Is this standard procedure ? I have not heard of this or had to do it before.

Maybe the store is just covering there ass for any ATF hassles?

Any of you guys Know the proper or required procedure ?

Thanks Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purest BS.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP7:

The FFL holder has to fill out and acqusition and disposition book as required by the Federal law. He does not know you from Adam. Your drivers license is a government issued photo ID.
He needs to spell your complete name correctly, and have your correct address. As a FFL holder I frequently ask for a government issued photo ID. A drivers license is a logical choice. Yes, the receiving FFL is doing his job and covering his ass. An audit by the ATF is not a fun event. The best way to deal with the government is to out document them.

Remember a FFL is not required by law to handle your transaction. He could require you take your firearm to a local FFL and have the local FFL receive your firearm then the local FFL transfer it as a FFL to FFL transfer. Then the receiving FFL transfers to the buyer in another state. This could cost you two transfer fees.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Actually,
That is not BS at all! The recieving FFL is just trying to verify your address in order to log it in in accordance with the law. Look at it from the FFL's perspective. A package shows up with a return address. How the heck does he know it is correct?
I would advise blocking out your SS Number if it is part of your drivers license number. ID numbers of official ID's are only needed for a 4473 as it pertains to new owner.

Alan

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been caught up in this before and now send a copy of my DLic and my CCP.
I also now include in sales of long guns a notice that if gun must ship from FFL to FFl to add 30.00. Some FFL's will not accept long guns from a private person.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

Jim whats a CCP? CR licence?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CCP= concealed carry permit

CR= curio & relic

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no law that I am aware of that prevents an FFL holder from requiring whatever proper identification he wants from a buyer, seller, transferor or transferee. It’s his licence and freedom at risk and if his policy is to require a copy of your ID then you can either provide what he wants or take your business somewhere else. He is under absolutely no legal obligation to sell or transfer firearms to anyone he doesn’t want to.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fyj:
There is no law that I am aware of that prevents an FFL holder from requiring whatever proper identification he wants from a buyer, seller, transferor or transferee. It’s his licence and freedom at risk and if his policy is to require a copy of your ID then you can either provide what he wants or take your business somewhere else. He is under absolutely no legal obligation to sell or transfer firearms to anyone he doesn’t want to.

Exactly. He could require a DNA sample and a biometric scan if he wanted to...it doesn't even have to be "proper" I.D. Whatever he wants is what is required if you want him do it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote