Find
Notify
Tools

BLR stock repair
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Is there any way (short of a complete refinish) to repair scratches in the finish on the shiny BLR 81 stocks, the scratches aren't down to the wood but a couple are pretty deep in the finish?

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short answer is yes. One must make sure there is no "white" visible on the scratched mark. If there is, you must remove it manually. Then using a thin superglue and a lint free applicator, one may apply multiple coats to build the finish back up to level. The trick is to not allow bubbles or lint to be present. Level sand starting with 600 grit and proceed to 1200/1500 grit. Always use different directions of sanding to remove the previous grit marks. Polish with at least two levels of compound that are progressively finer. I use Brownell's 3F and 5F compounds. Polish and blend accordingly. This will make the repair only visible if you look in the right place, in the correct light, and the correct angle. Most will never know it has been done....IF you do it correctly.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep! That's how they do it on clear coat with autos.You have to take a polishing bob on a moto-tool to polish out the scratch until no white remains.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Earl Smith:
The short answer is yes. One must make sure there is no "white" visible on the scratched mark. If there is, you must remove it manually. Then using a thin superglue and a lint free applicator, one may apply multiple coats to build the finish back up to level. The trick is to not allow bubbles or lint to be present. Level sand starting with 600 grit and proceed to 1200/1500 grit. Always use different directions of sanding to remove the previous grit marks. Polish with at least two levels of compound that are progressively finer. I use Brownell's 3F and 5F compounds. Polish and blend accordingly. This will make the repair only visible if you look in the right place, in the correct light, and the correct angle. Most will never know it has been done....IF you do it correctly.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.

Steve............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That is the love/hate relationship I have with those Browning stock finishes. I have two guns that have them, and they look great UNTIL they get a field scratch on them. Then it's like chipped nail polish on a pretty girl - looks kind of trashy. I might have to try the superglue/endless polishing trick. Is there any kind of superglue recommended more than another?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I tried a small repair to the finish and it looks promising. Maybe I'll work up enough nerve to try it some more. I have a small bottle of the liquid super glue from Harbor Freight and it seems to work.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran