Find
Notify
Tools

What's it worth.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Need a little help guys. A couple of years back I picked up a Mark X barreled action in 35 Whelen. A friend of a friend is after me to sell it to him. The action is the standard early (has the release in the bow) action. It has about 95% finish. The barrel maker is unknown. The barrel is 23.5" with a muzzle brake. I also have the thread protector. The barrel is in the white. When I bought it I thought it was stainless. Now I think it is CM. I have simply shot it with two loads I had and it shot both at around 1.1-1.2 MOA in an old factory stock. I know what I paid for it in a package deal but, what is your thoughts as to a fair price?

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
of course, the first answer is always that it is worth what somebody will pay you for it in an arms length transaction where the seller doesn't have to sell and the buyer doesn't have to buy.

having said that, I have seen Mark X actions that were in fairly decent shape go for about $250 - $300.00. The barrel is probably worth about $80 if it is chrome moly and double that if it is stainless, and the labor to put it on another $100 - $150. A lot depends on that muzzle brake, both in looks and in performance. they can cost anywhere between $50 and $250 dollars plus another $100 to have it installed.

The thing is, once you start getting up into that 500 dollar bill range there are some pretty nice brand new rifles being offered to compete with your used rifle.

bottom line. I bet you could get $400 for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a MarkX barreled in 06 with open sights on it my stepfather paid I think 200 or 210 about 1.5-2 years ago. No muzzle brake though, but remember, some people don't like muzzle brakes and for this person it might not be a selling point. I wouldn't take as little for it as my stepfather paid, we just found somebody trying to get out of the FFL business and we bought four guns so got a good price. Look on gunbroker and get a guestimate there.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say 200 by the time you finish it get a nice stock for it your talking 400 to 500. Heck I just brought a new ruger stainless in 338 for 375. Maybe 200 is to high.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote