New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno "Restoration" example
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a Brno 1938 commercial (large ring, clip guide, solid left wall) 98 mauser in 8x60S with 21.5" barrel. To keep it active for a few more generations, it has been modified as such: Custom Leupold quick-release mounts that do not block the clip slot, windage adjustable rear sight, elevation adjustable front sight, FN scope safety, rust blue metal with nitre accents, teak oil and urethane wood finish. Post & crosshair steel Weaver 3x scope.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice work, did you do the bluing yourself?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the stockwork. The metalwork is courtesy of Griffin & Howe.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That one really floats my boat. "Nitre accents" damn I'm going to have to get me some of that stuff...

Modifing the mount so that it does not interfere with the clip slot is something I've been chasing for years... Would it be possible to post a good close up of the rear mount and provide some details???

Griffin & Howe- nice very nice. Have any idea what they use for their rust formula? Very rich and velvety. Your stock work compliments their work rather well.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bases started out as Leupold's gunsmith blanks. They were meticulously hand fitted to the receiver contours, then cleared for the bolt handle and stripper clip. They were finished with a trip around the edges with a ball cutter. Claw mounts would have been less time consuming or expensive, but the Leupolds offer more versatality and endurance.

I will try to get close up pics, if the camera is capable of it.