Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

98/30
 Login/Join

posted
I just saw a 98 action that had a extractor that was shorter than the guide rib on the bolt. The ident marks on the bolt were 660 on thefront of the reciever ring and 1940 on the back of the ring ss# was 660xxxxxSi on barrel and a 4digit # on the reciever. Anybody know anything about the pedigree of this action? The extractor was only about an inch or so long, from the front of the rib to the bolt face
when action was closed, is this an after market part? or some bad factory design. Also will a pat 14 bolt work in rem model 30 action? or will any mods have to be maid to the bolt? Thanks in advance. Gotta go wash off the sins of the day!

Posts: 15 | Location: suburb of Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a G29/40 (Mauser for Luftwaffe) model. Too bad it is only the action - they are valuable in fully assembled form. Good action though.

Does it look like this?

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K., IN THEORY, the P-14 English was chambered in .303 Brit. round. Uncle Sam ordered his, M17's, in .30/'06... And Remington, maker of both, had rifles left over that were sold commercially as Model 30's and 720? with different bolt config. '06 was, I am told, readily available. [SURPRISE!] Other calibers much less so. Know a gunsmith who told me his father, also a gunsmith (stepfather???) said he had seen one 30 in .257 Roberts. ONE.

A P14 bolt should slip into an M17 Action no problem. And it has the correct bolt face diameter for the rim of "belted magnum" brass. Obviously it will not be useful with '06 rounds. So you will need to modify magazine for either the shorter .303 or the belted mag case in config you choose. I believe this was the test bed Mr. Weatherby used to develop his brain children. And his first rifles. Before my time a bit. luck.

posted Hide Post
TMG, yes almost like that. No 29/40 on the side of the reciever and the extractor is only about an inch long just wondering if this is after market or is this some rare factory gun thate worth thousands of dollars!(one can always dream)

iiranger, its a model 30 reciever with factory bottom metal minus mag box and a striped pat 14 bolt. The guy wants 175.00 for it but I was thinking about a C note instead. Anybody out there have any ideas on a good price for this? Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: suburb of Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would have to see pic of the extractor. Will it hold and chamber an _x57 mm case? Could be some strange modification for a training rifle, i.e. 22 or something like that, but would be hard to guess without pics.

Offhand though, I'd say Bubba has been at work...

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote