THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Everyone enjoys a good "Blown Up Gun" story..

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyone enjoys a good "Blown Up Gun" story..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I had a little problem at the range toay with my M1 Garand. Maybe some of you guys would like to speculate on it's cause. I've had the rifle some time and it's usually quite accurate. I've only ever shot handloads in it. 49gr H4895 with a 150gr Hornady is what I have been using. From all the sources I could find, this load should be no problem in a Garand..

I was shooting a full en bloc clip (8 rounds) from the bench. I fired 5 rounds, then put the safety on, and went to my spotting scope to check the group. Not bad..

I went back to the rifle, and pulled the trigger twice more. I MAY have pulled the trigger three times, but I don't THINK so but wouldn't swear in it..

Anyways, there was a funny sound, and my face got peppered with bits of brass. Luckily, I was wearing glasses. My forehead was bleeding a bit, but that is it..

I looked at the rifle, which was open, but the en bloc hadn't made that 'PING" sound. It was still in the reciever, but upside down.

I went looking for the brass at this point, (brass was once fired Remington) and made some interesting discoveries...

Here's some pics:

This is the last round I fired next to one of the other ones. It appears as if the cartridge detonated without the bolt being even close to closed.

-

Here is a look at the heads of the funny one and a normal one for comparison. The funny one has deep scars on it. The other has minor scrapes, which is common in the Garand (mine anyway)

-

Here is the rifle. The bolt 'disassembled' itself. The extractor and ejector went to parts unknown. I'll probably see if I can find them tomorrow. The firing pin was rattling around inside the reciever...

-

What do you guys think?

Because I have nothing else to go on, my first instinct is to blame the cartridges. I usually weigh every ten powder throws, and this was no exception. Despite this, I think that somewhere, somehow, these cartridges were too hot.

But that may or may not account for the odd shaped case. It looks like a .308 that has been fired in a 30-06 chamber, but it is a 30-06 case. In a bolt rifle, a too hot load will lock up the bolt, but it's hard for me to say what it does in an autoloader like the Garand. The best I've been able to do is use a chrono and check for flattened primers.

Since I'm not sure if I pulled the trigger 8 times, I'm not positive that it wasn't soem sort of slam fire...Somehow the pin hit the primer before the bolt was locked up, maybe.

At least I'm sure of one thing: I used to be a guy that 'almost always' wore safety glasses. Now I'm a guy that 'ALWAYS' wears them, because if I hadn't, I would've nailed them both. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you`re OK.
I`m far from a expert but the case does look like the round fired with the bolt out of battery. Could have been a slam fire but the primer shows a striker indent. I`ve always believed a slam fire was caused by the bolt hitting a high primer.
It will be interesting to hear others opinions.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I had a similar expirence one time with an FN49,caused by a broken firing pin firing the cartridge before the action had completely closed.

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
I`ve always believed a slam fire was caused by the bolt hitting a high primer.
It will be interesting to hear others opinions.

Not necessarily. The Garand's firing pin (and the M14's and the M16's) are not sprung. They float freely in the bolt. Firing pins like that ALWAYS impact the primer when the bolt slams home. Some brands of primers are overly sensitive and will go off when hit like that when closing the bolt if the round is fed straight into the chamber by hand, and then the bolt is closed on them.

That is the reason why it is very important to always feed rounds from the magazine in an M1 or M14. Highpower shooters are forced to load one a time in the slow fire stages, and have learned that lesson the hard way.

The M16/AR-15 seems to be largely immune from that problem. My guess is that the lighter bolt of the M16 doesn't get the firing pin going fast enough to create a slam fire.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to start counting your blessings, and the number of times you squeeze the trigger. [Big Grin]

This looks like a good one to get Jack Belk involved in. You might also try using some CCI #34 primers just for good measure but I doubt if that would cure the delima since there is clearly a pin dent in the primer. Good luck with it.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot to mention something! [Razz]

If you look at the elavation adjustment knob, the external knurled knob is missing...And I don't know where that went either! I don't know if it was clipped by something and flew off, or if it just flew off! [Smile]

Keep the replies comming guys! Maybe Bill Leeper or Jack Belk or one of the other pros here will give us some more insight. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off,I too am really glad that you are ok Clarke. And I too think the rifle fired out of battery. Is it possible that the floating firing pin stuck in the forward position? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I am interested to see what the learned ones have to say also. Have you removed the firing pin yet? It would be interesting to see what it looks like. Since you can see the shoulder on the case, you can measure the distance between that shoulder and a normally fired cases shoulder, and determine bolt position when the round went off. It appears the case mouth hung up right at where the shoulder changes down to the neck. Why this could contribute to a slamfire I don't know....

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, your rifle fired out of battery. To prevent this you can use CCI mil spec primers and you may want to use a tougher brass such as Lake City or IMI. If you dont already do this, you should use small base dies to resize you brass so that there is no possibility of a cartidge not fully chambering and slam firing.

[ 07-29-2003, 14:37: Message edited by: TBS ]

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse; Ignoring "Dont ply your canoe in troublesome waters", our hero......This is like one of those Agatha Christie novels. Plenty of clues but some details left out. John C. G.'s "rubber barreled bullet launcher" happens to be a favorite of mine. Experimenting with my own during the early stages of determining "everything one should know about the M 1",That's one I didn't duplicate. Not in over 32000 rounds, 8 barrels useful for competition and 4 or 5 others OK to hang a bayonet on in my own receiver, did I manage what you did. The key to the beginning of a plausible answer would be in finding the extractor. (in 2 pieces) If the stem is broken the extractor can jump out of the bolt as a result of normal banging into the provided bolt movement stop inside rear of receiver. If this broke at say round 4 and the bottom of this shaft fell out at closing on round 5 (this retains the ejector), the ejector will normally leave with the fired (5th) empty. the trajectory of the ejector is over the receiver ring. Old John thought of everything- subsequently the extractor departs while bolt is driving round 6 to chamber, or round 7 . I have inserted a plug into the ejector hole to see what the fired case would do without an ejector. The
M-1 will often function with a thoroughly jammed ejector, pushed to rear in bolt face. The cases roll off over the operating rod,sometimes kicked forward by the hook.
With the retaining shaft gone can the fire pin ignite a primer without hammer falling, and can it stay with the bolt while heading for battery? Yes, and most especially if the bent tail is sufficiently spalled from use that it sticks slightly because of burrs in the bolt notch provided for the tail. The hammer anti-fire if not in full battery prong will strike the cam at bolt rear, missing the fire pin, but in slamming the bolt forward from the blow of the hammer against the cam there is enough distance for a rebound movement of the pin and barely enough energy to ignite primer with the bolt still not turned into battery. The added case volume keeps the case forward in this fire forming and the rifle is in straight blowback mode so you might not have too much bulge at back of case, because pressure is lower, and the case is glued to chamber walls enough so that you did not get separation.
You did not mention if you use a special sizer to attempt getting the case full length sized to nearly unfired specs. This is really a must if you wish to get the most out of the rifle. Another thing. Get a bright light source to shine into chamber. Look for what appears to be a rather uniform brass plating of the chamber walls. Next think about the granulated brass on the "floor pate inside bottom" (if). Additional clue Fired brass that looks like it had been sand blasted, lightly, then burnished afterwards. This is a sign of frost rust in the chamber. The cause of this is not using the chamber brush to remove ash, cleaning chamber with a patch then lightly oiling the brush to put a thin film of oil on chamber walls. Firing any self loader in an environment of high humidity causes the moisture to imbed in the chamber wall "pores" where it rusts the surface and with repetition is like a soft fine grit sand blast, which invites more rust but puts one helluva strain on the extractor during primary extraction, which makes them break.
Usually the hook breaks off about half way up the hook and becomes noticable when brass is left in the chamber with a notch in case rim exactly matching the remainder of the extractor. Don't ask me how I know this, even if inquiring ever so politely. Hint, It is stupid to delay attending your own weapon while being doctor to your team mates rifles, and then during match season running an experiment to see how many rounds you can fire without oil on operating rod or cleaning chamber and bore before you break something. ( ans. 1327)
A real slam to rear in blow back mode can cause the retainer washer holding pointer drum to elevation pinion shaft to flex and release drum, also, the primer whacking fire pin tip can drive it completely from bolt body, before bolt has commenced to rear march, and when the bolt stops the pin can then bounce up and out and that can make the clip do what it did. Except for firing without hammer hitting pin at closing, been there done that, got several tee shirts for the events,
best I can do without more clues. The shiny brass section on the no neck does indicate real resistance to rearward movement and saved you much grief. These things make hardened shooting glasses a convincer. Lucky you!

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Garand M1s do that, not often but too often. I was standing directly behind one that did this and am astonished at the power contained in a 30.06 cartridge. The only part of the rifle that was not damaged was the barrell. I escaped unhurt but several other blokes copped bits of brass and pieces of backsight in various parts of their anatomy.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by systeme98:
Gatehouse; The key to the beginning of a plausible answer would be in finding the extractor. (in 2 pieces) If the stem is broken the extractor can jump out of the bolt as a result of normal banging into the provided bolt movement stop inside rear of receiver. If this broke at say round 4

Would this have broken because of an overload? Or just because the rifle is 60 years ols and had many thousands of rounds through it?

and the bottom of this shaft fell out at closing on round 5 (this retains the ejector), the ejector will normally leave with the fired (5th) empty. the trajectory of the ejector is over the receiver ring. Old John thought of everything- subsequently the extractor departs while bolt is driving round 6 to chamber, or round 7 . I have inserted a plug into the ejector hole to see what the fired case would do without an ejector. The
M-1 will often function with a thoroughly jammed ejector, pushed to rear in bolt face. The cases roll off over the operating rod,sometimes kicked forward by the hook.
With the retaining shaft gone can the fire pin ignite a primer without hammer falling, and can it stay with the bolt while heading for battery? Yes, and most especially if the bent tail is sufficiently spalled from use that it sticks slightly because of burrs in the bolt notch provided for the tail. The hammer anti-fire if not in full battery prong will strike the cam at bolt rear, missing the fire pin, but in slamming the bolt forward from the blow of the hammer against the cam there is enough distance for a rebound movement of the pin and barely enough energy to ignite primer with the bolt still not turned into battery. The added case volume keeps the case forward in this fire forming and the rifle is in straight blowback mode so you might not have too much bulge at back of case, because pressure is lower, and the case is glued to chamber walls enough so that you did not get separation.
You did not mention if you use a special sizer to attempt getting the case full length sized to nearly unfired specs. This is really a must if you wish to get the most out of the rifle.

I have ust been using standard RCBC dies. As this is the only autoloader I reload for, I wasn't even aware of small base dires until recently. I have heard from a number of people that they use the standard dies for their Garand, though....I full length size so they slide in easily- UNTIL NOW! [Smile]

Another thing. Get a bright light source to shine into chamber. Look for what appears to be a rather uniform brass plating of the chamber walls. Next think about the granulated brass on the "floor pate inside bottom" (if). Additional clue Fired brass that looks like it had been sand blasted, lightly, then burnished afterwards. This is a sign of frost rust in the chamber. The cause of this is not using the chamber brush to remove ash, cleaning chamber with a patch then lightly oiling the brush to put a thin film of oil on chamber walls. Firing any self loader in an environment of high humidity causes the moisture to imbed in the chamber wall "pores" where it rusts the surface and with repetition is like a soft fine grit sand blast, which invites more rust but puts one helluva strain on the extractor during primary extraction, which makes them break.

I have inspected the chamber with a bore light...It doesn't look rusty or really brass plated, but it is definitely in need of cleaning. I have to admit that it's been about 100 rounds since I cleaned out the chamber. I cleaned the bore just before this range session. There is without a doubt some brass granules in the action. I have cleaned them away many times, and I thought that it was fairly normal??

Usually the hook breaks off about half way up the hook and becomes noticable when brass is left in the chamber with a notch in case rim exactly matching the remainder of the extractor. Don't ask me how I know this, even if inquiring ever so politely. Hint, It is stupid to delay attending your own weapon while being doctor to your team mates rifles, and then during match season running an experiment to see how many rounds you can fire without oil on operating rod or cleaning chamber and bore before you break something. ( ans. 1327)
A real slam to rear in blow back mode can cause the retainer washer holding pointer drum to elevation pinion shaft to flex and release drum, also, the primer whacking fire pin tip can drive it completely from bolt body, before bolt has commenced to rear march, and when the bolt stops the pin can then bounce up and out and that can make the clip do what it did. Except for firing without hammer hitting pin at closing, been there done that, got several tee shirts for the events,
best I can do without more clues. The shiny brass section on the no neck does indicate real resistance to rearward movement and saved you much grief. These things make hardened shooting glasses a convincer. Lucky you!

Does that give you any more clues? I
d also like to know what you think the damage, if any was to the bolt and reciever?

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
And PS Thanks to all who are glad that I only got a scratch [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, I sure hope you find the extractor because otherwise the butler probably did it.( if
it is damaged as described in previous post) Damages. In firing at closing to battery before the bolt rotates into the lug seats there ought to be discernable setback in the camming notch of the operating rod at top near the flat in the cam pocket. Most visible at rear end, but could also appear at front caused by gas pushing piston and sending the rod to rear while the bolt is also moving. Extractor, even if apparently undamaged, has had its life shortened, not worth worrying by how much, decide that it is hurting and replace. There could be damgage to the cam lug of bolt. If there is little setback in the operating rod cams then it might not have been hurt by much. There is far less possibility of damage to the receiver because it appears to have been operating in blow-back mode.
It sounds as if you have now decided to neck size only. Damned poor solution if the cause originated with cases not sized enough to be close to mil-spec, and if you have the frosted chamber walls as described. Pemberton isn't in the Low humidity Okanogan where some cactus grows if I remember correctly. The rust disease seemed to infect civilian M-1's along the left coast U.S. in disproportionate percent compared to east of the cascades. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it ain't there! Look at the fired brass,inside face of case rim. The extractor should have marked the normal cases 2 times, One visibly deeper than the other. If the case isn't resized enough to permit primary extraction within the origial design perameters it will present more resistance to the primary extraction causing the extractor to bite deeper and even to the point of distorting the rim. If in your sample of a New! Unique! Exciting! case fire-forming method there is only one extractor mark then the extractor had departed its home for new territory. If that case has 2 extractor indents, then its, "Oh Damn"! , 3-4 hours playing with M-1 parts and composing a scenario shot to hell.
'Ol Gene Stoner felt that the M-1 and its child, the M 14, were not just a little but a lot overdone when he was pushing his AR's which turned into our M-16. Not for my money! Each feature had its purpose and If you feed it something close to mil-spec ammo it will always do its part. [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Military primers are harder than civilian primers. I suggest using CCI military large rifle primers which are either no. 34 or 41 (I forget which is which). Civilian primers in military rifles, especially Garands, M1A's and M14's are known to cause slam fires.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by systeme98:
Gatehouse, I sure hope you find the extractor because otherwise the butler probably did it.( if
it is damaged as described in previous post) Damages. In firing at closing to battery before the bolt rotates into the lug seats there ought to be discernable setback in the camming notch of the operating rod at top near the flat in the cam pocket. Most visible at rear end, but could also appear at front caused by gas pushing piston and sending the rod to rear while the bolt is also moving. Extractor, even if apparently undamaged, has had its life shortened, not worth worrying by how much, decide that it is hurting and replace. There could be damgage to the cam lug of bolt. If there is little setback in the operating rod cams then it might not have been hurt by much. There is far less possibility of damage to the receiver because it appears to have been operating in blow-back mode.
It sounds as if you have now decided to neck size only. Damned poor solution if the cause originated with cases not sized enough to be close to mil-spec, and if you have the frosted chamber walls as described. Pemberton isn't in the Low humidity Okanogan where some cactus grows if I remember correctly. The rust disease seemed to infect civilian M-1's along the left coast U.S. in disproportionate percent compared to east of the cascades. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it ain't there! Look at the fired brass,inside face of case rim. The extractor should have marked the normal cases 2 times, One visibly deeper than the other. If the case isn't resized enough to permit primary extraction within the origial design perameters it will present more resistance to the primary extraction causing the extractor to bite deeper and even to the point of distorting the rim. If in your sample of a New! Unique! Exciting! case fire-forming method there is only one extractor mark then the extractor had departed its home for new territory. If that case has 2 extractor indents, then its, "Oh Damn"! , 3-4 hours playing with M-1 parts and composing a scenario shot to hell.
'Ol Gene Stoner felt that the M-1 and its child, the M 14, were not just a little but a lot overdone when he was pushing his AR's which turned into our M-16. Not for my money! Each feature had its purpose and If you feed it something close to mil-spec ammo it will always do its part. [Smile] [Smile]

System 98

I'm not neck sizing, I have been completely FL sizing, but in a regular 30-06 die (unless you were being sarcastic. [Smile] )

The new and exciting fireformed wildcat case rim is so chewed up it's hard to tell. I'll try to post soem close up pics of it later, but it looks like it has 2 marks on it..

I can't find the any of the bolt parts except the firing pin, unfortunately. I was atthe range yesterday and noone had been there since my episode, but it's pretty 'woodsy' there...plenty of places for a metal bit to fly off and be lost.

I'll try attack the chamber with the chamber brush on the weekend, and report what colour the gunk is..In the meantime, I'll post a few more pics to add more clues.

And when I find a source of Garand parts I'll reassemble the bits and pieces and use military primers, and get a small base die for the Garand. Even though I'm mostly into bolt guns, the Garand is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

If we take one theory, that the ejector was broken, do you think itwas caused by too hot loads? Or just wear and tear? None of the primers seem flattened in the slightest...

Thanks again [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, I think Mark White is onto something with... "It appears the case mouth hung up right at where the shoulder changes down to the neck. Why this could contribute to a slamfire I don't know...." It would seem to me that the case, at that point in entering the chamber, would just be laying loose in the chamber. If so, what held it sufficiently for the "stuck firing pin" to ignite the primer? In a "normal slamfire", the action is in battery, except for the firing pin protrusion,less primer indention, but the cartrige is supported by the chamber. Perhaps there was another unhappy problem coincident to the firing pin. Excluding outside material, the only other item in the picture is the bullet. Could it have jammed in the chamber tightly enough to allow ignition? Just uneducated speculation, What do you think?
Regards, Curley

Posts: 35 | Location: Baton Rouge, La. U.S.A. | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse - Just looking at the primers on the two cases you show here, NEITHER one of them looks like pressure was a problem. If anything, the load looks as little mild.

I think you're right that the round was detonated slightly before being properly locked up by the bolt. Considerably so, in fact. [Eek!] I'm amazed something worse wasn't blown up. Quite often the case is blown in half during such adventures.

My guess is broken or loose firing pin torched the round off while it was still going into the chamber. I'm also guessing the missing extractor parts were innocent victims of the blow and I don't think you'll be much wiser if you find them.

If your rifle has been feeding cases well with FL resizing, I don't see any valid reason to suddenly change to small base dies. If the cases weren't sizing down enough, you would have known it long ago.

Another possibility just occurred to me is the SEAR may have just slipped and released the hammer...which caught up with the whole procession before the bolt was locked. I saw exactly this happen in an M-1 Carbine one time. In other words, the rifle was TRYING to go full auto on you but obviously out of time. Firing before lock up is a classic symptom of this. I'll step out on a limb and bet my nickle there is nothing wrong with your load, sizing dies, reloading proceedures or the extractor/ejector.

It's firing pin or worn sear not engaging. If you have a Mil Surplus M-1, it may have already fired a zillion rds thru it before you got it and there may be a LOT of worn parts inside.

Please let me know what you find out. You have my curiosity meter pegged. Jim
For sure you've got a mystery here!

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, I'm glad to see you're ok. I've been using my Garand for a number of years and I've always heard of the infamous slam fires, but I've never actually seen one. That looks nasty.

If I manage to go hunting on Texada Island this year, I'll take my Garand. Now I'm going to be extra careful about brass and primers.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I admit I didn't read all of the replies above, so if somebody covered this, sorry for the repeat.

I'd check the trigger group, specifically the sear that catches the hammer to prevent the weapon from firing full auto. If that didn't catch for whatever reason, the hammer would follow bolt forward and a premature fire may happen.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Chamber checks out OK...a little carbon in there, but no rust..

I'm thinking that it was the sear...

I'm going to order new parts for everything in the bolt, plus a new sear...

I really don't have much to go on...

I've been firing the same handloads for a long time, and I'm thinking that the size of the brass may not be an issue.

Anybody- Please correct me if I am wrong... [Smile]

<eldeguello>
posted
This is bizarre. Your load of 49 grains of 4895 is OK, and it takes up too much space for a double-charge. I have pulled some GI M2 ball stuff that used up to 52 grains of 4895! High pressures from 4895 might rupture a case head, but would not result in the "fire-formed" case you got! That primer is definitely indented a lot more than from merely having the firing pin's inertia behind it when the bolt closed! Is there any way the firing pin could have been stuck in the forward position, protruding from the bolt as the bolt slammed shut? This round was not fired by a high primer, either! [Confused] I concur that the bolt was NOT LOCKED when this round went!

[ 08-06-2003, 22:36: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it my eyes or does the normal case look a little wide at the opening??

Glad you were OK!

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
After looking over a breakdown;
http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/m-1garand.jpg

and re-reading the thread I have a couple observations.

First and foremost this looks to me like a feeding problem was at the heart of the situation. The non springed firing pin may have either been stuck forward or jolted forward at the instant that the cartridge met resistance and stoped feeding. That and non milspec primers are enough to have caused the discharge.

Ready on the right seems to make a good point and it could be significant if he is correct. Have you had a good look at the shoulder area of the chamber where the round appears to have hung up?

Clearly a complete takedown and inspection is in order, but I keep coming back to the fact that it was the last round in the clip and that the clip was found upside down, could the clip or the clip ejector have somehow caused a jam?

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are gunsmiths and Garand Smiths, make sure you get the right one. The Garand will not and can not fire out of battery IF all the parts are in good condition. Big if, worn hammer notch, broken extractor or firing pin and its a new ballgame. Find an old armorer who build garands and M-14's for competition and he will make it sing again for you. Glad your OK.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote