Find
Notify
Tools

Making a Pattern Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I'm going to attempt to make a pattern for my MRC actioned 338-06. I have a few questions and all input is graciously accepted. I'm planning to start with a Winchester Ranger stock mainly because I have one from a donor. My main question is how well does common bondo adhere to wood? Any surface prep to get a good bond? I'd hate to have the cheek piece or something fall off. I'm also interested in any tips on drawing precise curves for the cheek piece. Thanks. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I havent had any problem getting common bondo to stick to wood. I buy mine at Napa. Its called CUZ. I cant help on the precise curves part except to say you could visit a craft store and pick up a "french curve" template to use for sketching your cheekpiece. I havent used them though. Most of mine I just wing it. Hope this helps

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rob

I am a gunsmith, and I make most of my stocks from scratch, but I have done some pattern work in the past.
Bondo will work fine. Remember, it only has to be used once.
My method is to tke your "used stock" and add more length, hight, and width to the butt than You'll ever need. (I made mine 16 inches long, 6 1/2" tall and 2 1/2" wide.) Use wood blocks, strips, and glue to get the basic form. Bondo over everything, and sand to about what you want.
Next panograph out the new pattern in Cherry wood. Cherry is extremely stable. Now turn threads on an undersized bar of steel to make a fake barrel, smaller than any you'll ever use. "Glass" the "barreled action" into the cherry wood pattern. When it's hard, take it out and "finish" the pattern up smooth and slick. Use more bondo or epoxy to make the lines straight and smooth.
Now... You can copy this pattern in good walnut. The undersized barrel chanel can be fit to any barrel The over sized butt can be cut to any length of pull. The butt plate/pad can be positioned where ever You want, for cast off and drop, and the oversized wood can simply be cut down to the level of the pad. This methiod will give you a very versatile patten to work with.

Now I have to ask You something...
What's a MCR action?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Information about the Montana Rifleman Action known as the MRC M1999 can be found at these web sites.

http://www.montanarifleman.com/model1999.html

http://www.serengetirifles.com/m1999.html

They are a combonation of the pre-64 mod 70 and the k98. Very good actions and very good people making them.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,
If this is a one off pattern, wait until you get the action barreled, and glass it into the old stock. Add bondo where you need it. If it were me, I would shape the pattern exactly the way I wanted it. If you want 2 screw sling swivel stud on a pedestal, build it into the pattern along with a skelton grip cap if you so desire. Get the outside smooth and to the shape you want. Then send it off with your good piece of wood to someone with a good duplicator. If you want to learn to inlet, go ahead and get a 95% inlet and go from there. If you have it done on a 1:1 duplicator your inletting will be done in 1 1/2 to 3 hours. Then it is just sand and start to finish.

The next time you want to use the pattern, change it where you want and glass in the new action and start over.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

Customstox, I think I will do it exactly as I want it since I won't be doing a lot of stocks on one pattern, at least that will be the plan. But I have a feeling the planning is the easy part. I'm also doing one from the blank with the assistance of Lindens book, minus the axe. That one may never see the light of day, but is good practice. I've done several semi's and want to step it up a bit. I purchased a nice blank from Dressels a year ago, and although it's a nice decoration, I want to make something out of it. I'm still waiting for the action to get barreled.

Thanks again for the responses to everyone. Before Swampgas gave me the boot, my handle was 8mag, many of you were helpfull there as well.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey - Do you have a pantograph, or am I having another middle-aged memory meltdown?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote