New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy Problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Guide Gun in 45/70 used but barely, and I mean barely. It has the good XS ghost ring sights on it and for a Marlin lever, killer wood. It just won't shoot though. Tried both cast(my preference) and jacketed. Both have given me around 8 inches at 75 yards. Took a light and magnifying glass to the crown and all seems well. It has the dovetail arrangement for the mag tube and fore end tip. Since this is the first Guide I have ever handled, I didn't know if that was normal. The fore end tip seems quite tight to the barrel when in place. Any suggestions? Never had a Marlin lever that wouldn't shoot decent before.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It should shoot a lot better than that. Mine shoots little over an inch at 100 yards with Remington factory ammo but I have a IER scope mounted on the barrel and I'm sure that helps me hold closer to same aim point each shot. I bought mine from Wild West Guns when I lived in Anchorage and it is one of their Alaskan Guide models which includes a much better trigger than the stock one and that might account for some of its accuracy. The other mods they did are more for reliablility than accuracy. Have you tried factory ammo?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory is against my religion. jumping I did try the Hornady 350 gr round nose at 1700fps and didn't shoot any better than my fav cast. Really want it to shoot my 457122 Lyman. Will do what I have to do however.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try a couple of different factory 300 grain loads. If they shoot bad too I would send the rifle back to Marlin.
My brother has a gunand at 100 yards it will shoot between one inch and an inch and a half.
At 50 yards all shots touch.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worked up a load for a friend's .45-70 Marlin (not a Guide Gun) and it shot good with factory ammo and ended up shooting lights out with Berger 300 gr HPs. I think you should expect far better groups from your rifle.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
I recently purchased a Guide Gun in 45/70 used but barely, and I mean barely. It has the good XS ghost ring sights on it and for a Marlin lever, killer wood. It just won't shoot though. Tried both cast(my preference) and jacketed. Both have given me around 8 inches at 75 yards. Took a light and magnifying glass to the crown and all seems well. It has the dovetail arrangement for the mag tube and fore end tip. Since this is the first Guide I have ever handled, I didn't know if that was normal. The fore end tip seems quite tight to the barrel when in place. Any suggestions? Never had a Marlin lever that wouldn't shoot decent before.

I have a couple of the guide rifles and a few regular version and they all appear to be inherently accurate. If I read your post correctly, you're using the ghost sights at 75 yards? Not trying to be offensive, but I've seen several persons (both civilian as well as LEO) who were proficient w/ peep sights but were unable to shoot well w/ ghost sights w/ a short sight radius first time out. They had difficulty w/ the ghost ring concept and were trying to aim like a peep. As a result, their groups opened up to pie plate size. Once they got into the groove and forgot about the rear sight focusing on the front post, their groups were very small.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense taken. This is the first ghost ring I have had. Have several peeps and have noticed a big difference. Will try again.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
No offense taken. This is the first ghost ring I have had. Have several peeps and have noticed a big difference. Will try again.

Before sending it back to Marlin, I'd scope it and see how it shoots sighted that way....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote