New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carcano Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Curious... can a 6.5x52 Carcano be rebored to 35 Rem without having to remove the barrel?

I have a very nicely sporterized Carcano from the ‘60 that I’d like to keep the same barrel and stock configuration.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, from what I know about reboring, which is not much, the barrel needs to be removed. And from what I know about reboring, I would install a new barrel.
What is the muzzle diameter? I don't have one here now but I recall they are pretty thin.
And if all the above is not enough, the 6.5 case is longer than the 35, base to shoulder, so the 35 chamber won't clean up.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kreiger, Lothar Walther, others will duplicate the contour

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Douglas will duplicate any contour as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a 35 Rem on a carcano, just a cheap AB barrel, or a take-off I don't remember which. Either way, throat it out so you can seat the bullets out further, it will feed better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could post pictures on this site, I would. As nice as this milsurp looks, I don’t know if it’s worth investing more money in.

http://castboolits.gunloads.co...-Sporterized-Carcano

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call JES and ask .

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Even if they can rebore it, the chamber won't work as the 6.5 is already longer than the 35. Setting the barrel back one thread is not possible as the shoulder is thin, as I recall.
I would re-barrel it.