New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger scope mounting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the pros and cons of the Ruger scope mounting system ?

Hear a lot of folks cuss it. Also know that they might have a conflict of interest in selling another set of bases and rings which could increase their cash profit. If the Ruger system was good, wouldn't mind just giving them the extra cash profit for having a good scope mounting job and system.

There is something appealing about eliminating another component (the scope base) which could come loose.

If installed by a competent gunsmith, what are the demonstrable issues with the Ruger system ?

How about the Sako or Tikka systems that preclude the need for a separate base ? Any system that precludes a separate base ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it one of the easiest mounting jobs to do.I just mounted a couple of leupolds on two new 416 taylors. One shot to point of aim with out ajustments might need a little elvation added at 100 the other was just a inch off of where she should have been. I dought that you are going to find a stronger easier to use system out there.

No buying of extra mounts no base screws to work loose the rifles come with rings. You can buy quick detables for it if that is what you want. Over all one of the better systems out there.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know why Ruger rings are so much more expensive than others? I thought about getting a 30mm scope for my #1, but the darn rings are $80 for it.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Buzz,

I bought a set of Ruger rings (from Ruger)last year and they where only $50, must have a had a big price increase. If you have a set of unused Ruger rings they will trade them in and send you the ones you need. Your only cost would be postage to send in the rings your trading in.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
FWI, I love the Ruger system, infact I like rifles with bases milled into the reciever and really can't understand why Winchester or Remington don't do it.

I guess if you're going to customise the gun extensively, such systems might not be so flexible, but for the majority of folks they work great.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The Ruger mounting system is NOT 'GOOD'!! IT IS EXCELLENT! ALL rifle manufacturers should make bases integral with the top of the receiver ring and bridge! On the No. 1's, with some scopes it is not possible to get the ocular lens far enough back for the scope's eye relief, if it is a short eye-relief scope, unless you use extension rings. But if you do, then the barrel rib mount base is also excellent! Using a scope with a relatively long eye relief, such as the Leupold compacts have, also solves this problem.