THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Problem with Dayton Traister trigger in Ruger 77 MK II

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Dayton Traister trigger in Ruger 77 MK II
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I installed a Dayton Traister trigger in my LH Mark II yesterday, and have an issue... the trigger will stay engaged with the barreled action out of the stock, but as soon as I try to put the action back in the stock the trigger breaks. If I am very careful, I can get the action almost all the way in, but if I try to push the rear tang down to flush, the trigger breaks. If I fully re-assemble the rifle, the trigger falls as soon as the bolt closes. This problem did not exist with the factory trigger, but that trigger breaks at about 10#.

I am no gunsmith, but fitting an after market trigger is no real challenge, (or at least I didn't think it was). What in the world is going on?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the trigger almost has to be making contact with the stock, look for rub marks in the stock and take a small file and open it up some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as ho stated- you have interference with the stock. go borrow your wifes lipstick and color the trigger assembly. carefully assemble the rifle and then remove the barreled action. relieve where you see the lipstick. this may take several fitting cycles.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with ho and max, but I have used a Dayton Traiser trigger once and don't consider them a good value, as I find them not much better than the factory one. The DT ended up being replaced with a Timney. Hope you like your DT better than I liked the one I tried.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides the stock interference, sounds like you might have the sear set a mite short, too.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep sounds like you might have both a sear and stock issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote