New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to release a "glue-in" action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody have any suggestions for removing a Remington action from a Kevlar synthetic stock after it's been glued in? I don't know what was used unfortunately as "glue". Any help is much appreciated!

<allen day>
posted
Remove the screws, then put the entire rifle in the freezer overnight. In the morning, tap the metal with a rubber mallet (start with the underside of the barrel just ahead of the forend of the stock) and see if it won't come loose....

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a freezer that will hold it and put it in overnight if possible. Put the stock in a vice and using a dead blow hammer if you have one, or a rubber coated one, give the barrel a sharp rap, just ahead of the forearm. That usually works.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen, great minds not only think alike, they seem to do it at the same time.

chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
freezer... or
compressed air can, upsidedown...
jeffe

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought a 22 hornet cheap one time because someone glassed it into the stock. I found a can of mold release agent and dripped some around the action let set pulled dripped some more pulled lightly dripped a little more about 4hrs later it popped right out wipe it clean. Didn't soften the glass enough to ruin it. But enough to get the action out.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that many benchrest guns are glued in on purpose and that could be the case with yours...If so, I wouldn't mess with it...

Otherwise, by all means freeze it first..if that doesn't work, send it to a gunsmith, as it may take heat to remove it and that can be a little tricky...

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Keep in mind that many benchrest guns are glued in on purpose and that could be the case with yours...If so, I wouldn't mess with it...

Ray-

Understood, and this one actually *needed* gluing in, as there is no provision in the stock for a front action screw. And yeah, you're right, it's in a flat bottomed BR stock. However, it needs rebarrelled, and I'd much prefer the action to be out of the stock while working on it.

Looks like I'll be looking for a big freezer...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any benchrest smiths that rebed the action when they rebarrel. Of course, if you are suspect of the bedding job, then perhaps it is worth the effort, but...

Michael

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I found a freezer big enough (actually a walk-in), put the rifle in there till it was "frozen hard" [Wink] , then put a long bedding screw up into the rear action screw hole, clamped the stock, and a couple raps with a rawhide mallet on the bedding screw popped it right out. I'm glad I did it. The "glue-in" was a bit uneven. I can now rebarrel, and re-bed.

Thanks for the help guys!