Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning of the whole trigger unit in one piece
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T3Shooter
posted
Hi, is there any reason why you would need to pull apart trigger assembly (Remington) for cleaning instead of liberally rinsing the whole unit with suitable solvent and spraying with gun oil once it dries completely?
Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, when I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball. But we have to go forward, not backwards, upwards, not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling, towards freedom!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
usually there is no need to disassemble a Rem trigger. Lighter fluid is the proper fluid to flush out the trigger. Don't spray anything on it afterwards. The lighter fluid leaves enough of a residue. Any other type of lubricant will only attract dirt, dust, and it will collect.

And the use of a bore guide while cleaning will help keep cleaning fluids out of the trigger too, as well as save thr throat from wear.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T3Shooter:
Hi, is there any reason why you would need to pull apart trigger assembly (Remington) for cleaning instead of liberally rinsing the whole unit with suitable solvent and spraying with gun oil once it dries completely?
Thanks

Usually disassembly/reassembly is not required, and it has several possible downsides.

However, fairly frequently, solvent alone is not enough. Many Remington extractors tend to shave tiny bits of brass off the rims of the cartridge cases as they rotate around them while yanking them out of the chamber. And, in rifles fired a LOT, that fairly frequently leads to bits of brass being dropped into the trigger assembly as the bolt strikes the bolt stop on its rearward travel.

Of course, brass does not disolve easily with most of the liquids we like to pour through triggers <G>.

When bits of brass in a trigger are a problem, usually they can be removed with a good series of blasts of compressed air while working the trigger lever and simultaneously pressing & releasing the sear. Takes about 3 or 4 hands, so is best to do with a buddy while at the range with the rifle obviously empty and pointed down range.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Compressed air and a good flushing with a de-greaser is usually all you need.

-Spencer