Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning butt plate
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone heated up a black plastic Browing S/G FN A-5 buttplate to take the curve out, and what temperature is suggested?

I'm trying to put a factory curved plate back on as someone had cut the buttstock flat/straight and mounted a recoil pad.

Thanks for any suggestions, as it's going in the oven tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about any plastic can be heated and reshaped, within reason. I’ve used a hand held heat gun with success...and also have soaked them in hot water to soften them up prior to screwing them down.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that the plate is going to be longer when you straighten it out and you will probably have to trim it to fit the toe of the stock...and the bottom screw hole may be off.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick, I used a toaster oven set at 225°F for about 5 minutes, and after two tries bending it over a rolling pin, it was perfectly flat.

Stretching or elongating was to my advantage, as the plate was from an A-5 12 guage, and the recipient was a 20 gu B-2000. I knew I would have to final fit the toe anyway.