Find
Notify
Tools

Butchlamberts front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Butch sent me these pictures to download. Damn nice lookin sight and very deserving of a job well done. Butch can chime in on any answers or questions you may have.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
First class all the way Butch. Very nice.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbThat is impressive!! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

Question: How is the taper set up for the inside of the sight "tube", if at all?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Butch sent me these pictures to download. Damn nice lookin sight and very deserving of a job well done. Butch can chime in on any answers or questions you may have.

Now that is nice thumb

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With wire EDM you can cut the taper. It was .003 on mine. A little less handwork on the is one. I was able to touch up 6 sides with the surface grinder. I still need to work the back of the ramp.I hope to have the rear sight done this weekend. Thanks for posting this Steve.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Looks great Butch thumb
I can't imagine how long it would take to make this without wire edm.

Are you going to shape it anymore?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,
As SDH said, wait till you get to the file and stoning work. I squared off the back of the ramp where it hits the barrel. I need to straighten the lower sides that come from the bottom of the band to the back where I squared off the back.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
I like the thin wall stock on the sight and the way that it tapers back up to the top flat. Very nice lines.
Blair

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks really good Butch!
I retract earlier commentary.
Best,
Steve

(It would be OK to have the same amount of step at the back, where it meets the top flat, as you do at the sides.)

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1824 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:

I am with SDH. When first described I figured this was going to be the second ugliest front sight I had ever seen. I stand corrected.

The thin tube walls and otherwise simple lines make the whole thing work very well. Congratulations on a good design well executed.

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still not my ballywick, but I need to say you did an excellent job there! And if YOU like then that is all that matters. Custom guns are made for people who have custom ideas and have th emoney to make them happen. This is a great execution of your idea!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best friend drew the CAD drawings and showed it to me. I saw what looked like the knob on the end of a baseball bat. That's what happens when you are conversing over the internet on a project. It takes time.
Thanks for the pat on the back. That is the ultimate reward.
I have not been hit over the head with an idea for the rear sight. Does anybody know the width of the NECG rear sight inserts? I have in mind a real subtle rear sight and will not have a band sling swivel. I think it would be too busy.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The personal taste issue will always exist. I cast no stones in any direction on it, to each his own, deferring to experience all the while.

IMO, the sight is tasteful, well executed, and original.

I appreciate being let in on and viewing the process, it's fascinating, yours and others.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:

I recently put an express sight on an octagon barrel by taking the NECG island and machining the bottom to nest on the octagon barrel. Simple and not bad looking. The effect was similar to the tail on your front sight, and so might cohabitate with it quite well.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenn,
Great idea! I will take a look at it.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recently put an express sight on an octagon barrel by taking the NECG island and machining the bottom to nest on the octagon barrel. Simple and not bad looking. The effect was similar to the tail on your front sight, and so might cohabitate with it quite well.

Glenn

Wouldnt happen to have a picture of the rear sight would you?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote