New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with stock finish.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just completed my 35 Whelen Springfield in a Biesen semi inlet (super quality) Stock was finished with about 10 coats of Laurel mtn Permalyn sanded in. It tuned out very nice and all the open grain
is nicely filled. Problem is....it's way too glossy. How can I knock it back to more of a matte, low lustre,,in the wood look without undoing all this work. The finish is not all that thick it's just too glossy. Last 3 coats were sanded in with 600 wet paper.I want to cut it back to a very low gloss oil type finish.

Any suggestions appreciated? Thanks in advance

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am unfamiliar with the finish you used; however, if it is a clear varnish type finish you can "deaden" it some with rubbing compound like you rub out cars with. You might be able to use on "oil" type finishes; however, I'd be inclined to check it out since the solvent might work on the oil finish. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Permalyn before and it is a good finish. Get you a soft or medium soft felt pad about 2 X 3 inches and 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. Take a fresh can of boiled linseed oil and some pumice. Make a thin paste with the oil and pumice in a saucer, dip the pad in the paste and lightly rub out the finsh. Go easy here as you can rub down to the wood if you are not careful, especially on the edges. Work on a small area at a time and buff the paste off the stock with a soft cotten cloth. Rub it with the grain. You will have a nice satin glow when finished. Do not touch the stock for a day or two. Even though you buffed the oil and pumice off with a cloth there will be a microscopic layer of linseed oil that needs to cure a couple of days.

I have a springfield 03-A3 that I have rebarreled to 35 Whelen myself. I used a Shilen CM #4. I am restoring an old sporter that was probably built in the 30's or 40's. I still need to glass bed, blue the metal and refinish the stock.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10at6, Here's my $.02:
You can use abrasive to knock back the gloss but if the gun is going to be handled a lot, the handled areas will shine back up.

A nice trick that works with Tru-oil is to give the stock a good wipe with an acetone soaked cotton cloth. This will dull the surface (and remove some of the finish so don't overdue the wipe) and after a couple of days you can topcoat with linseed or tung oil.

I'd recommend an off-stock test, as I've never tried this with Permalyn, but I know that Permalyn is similar to Tru-oil, as both are urethane modified oils. Good luck.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there any commercially available products to cut back the gloss?

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi 10at6 I have used Laurel Mt. Per. many times at the point you are now I usually dull with 0000 steel wool and either wax ( bucthers wax) or 2 or 3 thin coats of true oil. I don't hesitate to last coat cut/dull with 0000 steel wool and then wax for that perfect not shine but soft glow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd sure like to see that Biesen semi inlet... Smiler

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote