Find
Notify
Tools

REBORE: 7-08 to 358
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I want to rebore a Kimber Montana 7-08 to 358 Win. I wonder if they use the same profile for the 338 Fed? Is there enough meat at the muzzle to safely do this? Also, what's the cleanest way to remove 7-08 marking from the barrel and putin its place 358 Win? I am very particular about this. I find that simply stamping over the old chambering with an X stamp is very tacky. Thanks, Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Your not going to have enough meat left in that barrel for this to work. Considering that a rebore cost $350 and a new barrel installed through Pac-Nor, Hart, Shilen, and so on could be had for $500-750 your not saving much and will not have the same quality of product you started out with.

The only reason to rebore is if you are trying to save the original sights.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Measure the muzzle end, or where you want it to be if you cut it; take that number and subtract .358 then divide the result by 2. It the resulting number is smaller than .150 then you don't have enough material to do it safely. If you do, you could have it done for about $300.

I clean a lot of stampings off barrels and the way I do it is by turning the barrel between centers on my lathe and filing/sanding the marks off. They're usually only about .010" to .015" deep so it has little effect on the barrel's contour. I then remark using my pantograph engraver.

That being said, reboring is usually the way to go if you have a barrel with some unique feature you wish to retain e.g. sights, contour, historical provenance. Few Kimbers will ever fall into that category so you're probably better off with a new barrel.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few rebores that were done by the now retired Cliff LaBounty. His rule of thumb was .10" thickness at the muzzle so you would need ~.56" muzzle diameter. I have two 35 Whelen's as such, one of which is a Ruger factory barrel that measure .560". My rebores are as accurate as my custom barreled guns as they were done by the master. Jim Dubell purchased Cliff's equipment and I am told is performing the same high quality work.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One thing will change is the rifle's balance. It may improve or not, depnding on your preferences. As far as wall thickness, I think .1 is about as thin as most reborers will go. I know LaBounty did some English doubles as thin as .080. My Italian O/U 30-06 is .061 in the grove at the muzzle. So go figure...

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell did my guild barrel from 8mauser to 9.3. I had Ed Shilen look at it and he said it looked great. I haven't shot it yet.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am not sure what the muzzle diameter is. I'll have to wait until mid Feb when I get home to measure it.

I had PacNor rebarrel a M70 Classis FWT in 7-08 to 358 Win. They used the same contour to the forend than continued from there with no taper. Looks and works great. Just thought I'd check to see if I could rebore. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote