New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt hard to close on Turk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a Kkale and when I try to turn the bolt down into battery...I have to force it. When I tried to install a Timney trigger I could run the bolt straight in but it would not go into battery at all. powdr

Posts: 309 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 25 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I need to see it. It could be the internal firing pin safety lugs; or not. Also, some triggers do not like to operate with military cocking pieces with steps in them; work better with solid bottom ones. Again, sometimes.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dcpd, what do I need to look for when I get it apart? powdr

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Places where it is galling. Put some layout dye on anything that moves.
But really, it is hard to diagnose on the keyboard something I could look at once and see.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Strip the bolt and see if the stripped bolt fails to close.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Places where it is galling. Put some layout dye on anything that moves.
Aftermarket triggers sometimes work better with solid bottom cocking pieces and you have a military one with a step in it.
But really, it is hard to diagnose on the keyboard something I could look at once and see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ummmm..... that hasn't been drilled, tapped and has a too long screw in the front ring interfering with the bolt, does it??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Doug but that's exactly what it feels like. I've had that problem and am familiar w/the feel. powdr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, here is what happened to me on a Mauser. I've fooled with a lot of them and never seen this. I had an extra bolt shroud laying around that I gave to a gunsmith to install a Model 70 type safety on. It had been laying around for about 15 years and I decided to use it on a project I was working on so I assembled the bolt, only to find it wouldn't close. I went over the entire bolt, took the shroud and safety apart and somehow came to the conclusion that the shank near the threads on the bolt shroud were bigger than the bolt body. Nope. Then I thought the bolt body at the rear was too big for the shroud to thread into all the way. Nope. I polished everything, not much help. I couldn't figure it out until I saw one small bright spot on the tang under the bolt. I polished the underside of the shroud and the bolt closed a little more, then a little more.....
So in the end, after I stoned the underside of the shroud enough, it closed perfectly. Just too much drag from a non-matching bolt shroud.
Might give it a look.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same tolerance issue that Magnum Hunter had. I think I stoned the tang to eliminate the drag...

What was the verdict on trying a stripped bolt? If that works, reassemble bit-by-bit until you find the part that is binding.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a Mauser man look it over as we speak. Thanks to everyone that offered assistance. I'll reply back what the problem was. powdr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update...I sent the action to a member here and he has received it and diagnosed the problem. The bolt was mismatched and had to have the action opened for the handle to sit down in. The trigger was a problem because it needed a commercial cocking piece to operate normally. I want to thank everyone that helped w/ideas. powdr