THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    User Friendly Method For Determining Bolt Shear Force

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

User Friendly Method For Determining Bolt Shear Force
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
The method described by Dan Lilja on his page is a little involved. I thought I would post this as an alternative.

-

[ 01-15-2003, 07:59: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Rodger- Nice job. The 600 OK which has a .640 Boltface just like the 505 Gibbs is designed to run a 900 Gr bullet at 2400fps max at 52,000psi max. I doubt any human can take this load and live but my calculations on the CZ550 said the gun will survive!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rob,

I believe it is difficult sometimes for people with engineering or math backgrounds to "bring it home" so to speak in terms normal people (like me) can understand. This takes a bit longer since there are more steps but I found it easier at least for me.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I stuggle with math a fair bit how does the .585 Nyati with the 750 gr & 650 gr bullet at 2500 fps fair under this equation (case head area is the same as the gibbs .640) ??

I could with help labour through it (like I have labored through all my education, but it would take me a day I reckon)

Thanks PC.

[ 01-15-2003, 15:37: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent work.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<500 A2>
posted
Roger, thanks for this excellent information. I think you did an excellent job.

Lucs