New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 barrel indexing question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a 300 RUM Sendero barrel for a 300 Win Mag Rem 700 (also Sendero) that I have. I don't know how Remington's machine shop is set up so maybe someone here can answer this. What are the odds that the 300 RUM barrel will index properly, i.e. the writing etc. in the right place, without having to be set back a turn or or so.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the factory roll stamps on the barrel to come in just above the stock on the left side of the barrel, I'd say that your chances are slim, but not impossible. It is much more likely that the breach will need to be machined and the chamber re-cut to do what you want. All in all, it is seldom a bad idea to re-cut a factory chamber, since you will know the degree of care the guy running the machine took.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher

I have fitted a few Remington take off barrels to other Remington actions and suprisingly some of them headspace OK. The problem is none of them have timed threads so the factory markings seldom ever index properly.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have some lee way in how tight the barrel is made up you might have about 4 degrees to play with. Which is about one chance in 90.
That does not mean the head space will be correct.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Guess i will be the bad guy here. Odds are that the barrel will not index and headspace properly. My question is, why not take the opportunity to do some work to the action(Truing,Ect). Then set the barrel back and re-chamber it. This will greatly improve the chances of the rifle shooting. Confused

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The plan all along has been to have a gunsmith go ahead and set it back so that it indexes properly, and clean up the chamber. I just thought I'd see what the likelihood would be that it'd just screw right on. The answers are pretty much what I expected (slim to none) but it never hurts to get a 2nd opinion! Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've screwed dozens of Remington barrels onto different Remington actions and can't ever recall when a barrel would have the roll stamps align properly. OTOH, I don't recall more than a couple that needed work to get a proper headspace, but there was no telling where the roll stamps would be, except that they probably wouldn't be where they were on the action they came off of.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it didn't take much you could surface grind the recoil lug.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote