Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 722 into a 700 stock?
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a Remington 722 that was worked over by Seely Masker into a 6ppc HV benchrest rifle back in 1982. The barrel is on its way out for benchrest use (shoots in the .3's-.4's), and the remington action is not competative in todays matches, yet at the same time at non-benchrest events (bullseye money shoots) people refuse to shoot against it due to it's look. Basically as it's currently configured, the rifle has no purpose. Here's my thought, re-stock the rifle in a wooden sporter/varmint stock to make the rifle less menacing and create a sleeper rifle for money shoots. Will a Remington 700 stock fit the (un-sleeved) 722 action?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I thought they would fit with a little work but I wouldn't bet any $$ on it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
The tang is a different shape and the bolt handle is straight (no anngle towards the rear).Both pretty easy to work around though.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for he help so far, but I have another question, Will SA Bdl bottom metal fit the 722/ can it be made to fit? Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here is the best I can do. MY buddies dad has a 721 mounted in a 700 stock using 700BDL bottom metal. I don't have a clue what if any work was reguired. Using a 700 stock I would think a SA bottom could be made to fit. I would think making a ADL would be even easier.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmb3366:
I've got a Remington 722 that was worked over by Seely Masker into a 6ppc HV benchrest rifle back in 1982. The barrel is on its way out for benchrest use (shoots in the .3's-.4's), and the remington action is not competative in todays matches, yet at the same time at non-benchrest events (bullseye money shoots) people refuse to shoot against it due to it's look. Basically as it's currently configured, the rifle has no purpose. Here's my thought, re-stock the rifle in a wooden sporter/varmint stock to make the rifle less menacing and create a sleeper rifle for money shoots. Will a Remington 700 stock fit the (un-sleeved) 722 action?

I think you may need to give out a bit more information. First, what sort of magazine and bottom metal, if any, does the rifle have now?

If Seely set it up as a real BR rifle, I would be very surprised if it HAS a magazine. I haven't seen a real BR gun on the match firing line in the last 25 years that does. There may be some, but if so they are very, very few.

If it does not have a magazine, does it still have the 722 floorplate & triggerguard? Again, I'd be surprised if it does. There is no need to inlet a BR stock for a floorplate if there is no magazine.

If it does NOT have a magazine, has a metal plate been installed IN the bottom of the receiver to act as a feed tray for the cartridge? If the answer is "yes", then it should be no trick to put it into a M700 ADL stock for the Rem short actions. If it does NOT have some sort of plate in the bottom of the receiver AND doesn't have a magazine, then if you put it into a short action M700 ADL or BDL stock, you are going to have to either acquire a magazine or figure out how you feel the space for the magazine in the stock can best be filled.

If it does have a magazine and does have a floorplate, then it should be a very simple job to use a file and a little fibreglass (epoxy in modern lingo) to fit it into the short action current remington stocks, either wood or composite.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As the rifle is currently configured it has no bottom metal, just a trigger guard. It has no magazine components, nor a feed plate, it is set in a aluminum stock, and there is a plate made integral to the stock. Supprisingly the gun is not a glue-in either. When out of the stock the reviever has an open hole for a magazine. The reason I was thinking of 700 bottom metal was so I could use a factory BDL varmint stock, all the varmint stocks I can find for the ADL are fancy laminates and synthetics. I want the rifle to appeare plane jane, low key.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
That's what I suspected...except for the metal stock!

Anyway, as described, it should work fine in a short-action M700 stock, but you will either have to buy a triggerguard/magazine assembly to use a BDL stock, or "figger" a way to fill the space for the magazine in an ADL stock. The latter is the way I'd go.

Matter of fact, I still have four rifles - two 722's and two Springfields (!!) - which are passably good old time BR guns. I filled my magazine areas of two by fitting a wooden block in each, then epoxying it in place in the stocks. One has an after market aluminum cartridge "tray" (sold as a "single shot adaptor") for the cartridge. In another, I just formed a feed tray of fibreglass then glued it in place atop the wooden mag-filler block. The other two have aluminum sleeves intended for the 700 short actions, with fabricated (hand cut, filed and polished) aluminum feed trays epoxied to the inside of the sleeves.

Sounds like a lot more work than it is. Go for it and have fun!!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

The rifle in question, should have posted earlier. BTW so as not to sully his name, Seely was not the stocker, that was done, rather shitily by it's previous owner, who saw fit to fill the air spaces in the stock with insulating foam, and to skim the stock in epoxy and paint it.