Find
Notify
Tools

Head Space??????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I just bought a .270Win MarkX barreled action. The action is basicly striped. I've got a box of Mauser parts laying around that I,m plannig to use to assemble the rifle. I was just wondering what the chances are with a new bolt inserted if it will head space properly?

A. Snowballs chance in hell
B. 50/50
C. Quite possibly will work.

I will have it checked by a gunsmith reguardless of the answers I recieve, But I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Terry
(FrankenMauser: made from the parts of other dead mausers.)

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no telling what will happen. Since you're having a gunsmith check it anyway, why worry. [Cool]

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Not worried, just curious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand about curiosity,believe me. Mine is bloody awful! In my experience the cances aren't great but one never knows. If you wanted to you could just check it out yourself by getting a solid type feeler gauge(as compared to the wire type) and nip foo a piece of the 4 thou and a piece of the 6 thou gauges and try chambering a blank cartridge with each of these pieces of feeler gauge on top of the cart. head. This gives you a crude go,nogo and field gauge test. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Derf, I'll give it a try [Wink]