Tools

Correcting a spelling error??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papapaul:
I just sent Perry Mason a scathing email. He promises not to try to make any jokes from here on out. P.S. You can watch a bunch of old "50s Perry Mason shows for free on Comcast.com. I've been watching one every day while I eat my lunch. It is amazing to watch Perry cut through the BS and get to the obvious truth.

You and ol' Perry don't happen to be sharing a bottle of "spirits" during your lunch time are you? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. Logic. Knifemakers do more and better lettering, as a group, than gunsmiths, as a group.
1. Why did gunsmith X do the lettering in the first place.
2. Why did he get a second chance after screwing it up once.
3. How is it that Mike would be responsible for reamer rent?
4. Why is is that Mike is seeking solutions to the problem and not having gunsmith X resolve the problem.
5. why, when we're so mad at gunsmith X, we don't mention his name.
I'm not going to post again on this thread and I'm sorry my initial attempt at humor was such a failure.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Its a question of how to FIX the proken problem

Its addressing reality and behavoirs, not perceptions and emotions...

Your post doesn't help

That's the truth! It's amazing how threads wander afield from the original intent. bewildered

Mike and I have both bought barrels from the same fellow and he's quite capable of turning and fitting but seems a bit dyslexic when it comes to stamping. Jeffe is right, IMHO the gunsmithing forum is about fixing mechanical problems, asswhupping is handled elsewhere.

Our "gunsmith" is more of a "barrel plumber" and I think Mike and I need to find an "engraver" for caliber descriptions that require more than a few simple numbers. It has been interesting to read the descriptions on how to erase something that's been improperly stamped. I'm continually impressed with the forum members abillities to mold wood and metal to fit their needs.

beer

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

My description of the happening is accurate. Had I been the creator of the error(s) in question I'd have led the question with an admission of quilt. I certainly have my own little pile of goofs over the years. Some required a fix. Some required a startover.

One of the barrels in question was missmarked the first time when it was made for Rick_R. I acquired it from him.

The good folks on this forum have been kind enough to provide constructive guidance while I've worked on bedding and the construction of custom sight mounts. I really appreciate that!

As I have a decent lathe and mill I expect that I will someday attempt to chamber and fit a barrel myself. I expect that to be a challenging learning experience and I will again rely on the kindness of the good folks here to help me through it.

As I am an old retired guy with less money than time I sincerely appreciate the help provided here!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, an engraver friend of mine fixed the same kind of error. He inlaid some black iron wire into the letter just like you would with gold wire, faced it off and redid the letter. You have to be careful not to dislodge the wire but it turned out fine in this case.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a very expensive single shot rifle that had just come back from the engravers with gold inlaid cartridge markings done incorrectly. The gunsmith milled out the error, fitted a thin filler and sent it back for re-engraving and inlaying. The seam was almost inviible but I think it may have ended up with a fine gold inlay around the perimeter to completely hide it. Not a happy gunmaker. Did the error stand out? When he showed the rifle to me I think I spotted it in 2 seconds.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papapaul:
I just sent Perry Mason a scathing email. He promises not to try to make any jokes from here on out. P.S. You can watch a bunch of old "50s Perry Mason shows for free on Comcast.com. I've been watching one every day while I eat my lunch. It is amazing to watch Perry cut through the BS and get to the obvious truth.

He was gay.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In my line of work I would have to replace and eat.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 observations:

A smith who's dyslexic enough to make that sort of mistake wouldn't get a second chance with me if he wouldn't fix the first mistake with no charge; AAMOF if he'd make that sort of mistake in the first place then I wouldn't be inclined to shoot anything he'd barreled, ever!

Bob Snapp showed me the quickest and most practical way to fix this error that I've ever seen. Actually he used it on the barrels he rebored, to make a place for the new marks. He simply filed a small flat on the barrel into the stamping, just long and deep enough to eliminate the original unwanted marks, and then stamped his new designation into the new flat and touch-up blued the area. The mill cut is maybe a little more sophisticated but not nearly as practical or easy.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The problem that I have with "fixing" is that every time I would look at the "fix" I would remember the mistake like it was yesterday twenty five years later. He should replace not "fix" his mistake his $$$$

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
In my line of work I would have to replace and eat.

Painful, and best solution.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote