Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 70 FWT barrel extractor cut
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I'm trying to fit a new-to-me barrel to the action. After cleaning up the barrel shoulder and cone the extractor slot is off from lining up by about 0.200".

If I cut the shoulder back to get it to spin around into alignment I'm guessing I would have to take off 0.050" (on a 0.125" wide FWT shoulder), re-cut the cone and then chamber.

Less work but a bit less than elegant is just widening the extractor slot. I am wondering if it's safe?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been discussed here..but you can move the threads..though sounds like you have a long ways to go....some use a layer of solder, my opinion and that of a full blown welding engineer is NOT to weld on the barrel, especially near the chamber.

I reality, the forcing cone can actually be removed . Easiest way is to just mill clearance for the extractor

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do not do anything but math.
I am reading that it is .2 from indexing, meaning rotational/circumferencial distance. If so, the total circumference is 3.9 inches, of which .2 inches is half a percent of the total. So, to move it that much, with a 16 tpi, it moves .0625 per one revolution. you are only moving it .003 axial distance.
That likely won't change anything but make your headspace better.
But yes, you could just widen the extractor cut; won't hurt anything.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, if you are past your index mark, and the bolt will close, just widen the slot.
If the cone is interfering, spin it all the way around and re-do everything; cone, chamber, and slot.
Yes, do not weld on a barrel. I know, some have lugs induction welded on; still don't do it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote