New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curved stock blank?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of buying a nice rifle stock blank that, as a result of drying, has a slight curve (warp) roughly where the fore end to the magazine well would be. This warp is less than 1/2 inch. It is on the length of the stock, that is horizontal, not a vertical movement. Do y'all think it will cut and stay straight or will it move after cutting to a stock shape?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My uneducated guess is maybe.

Heck I've had straight blanks move after shaping. If it were mine and since I have a duplicator. I would rough cut it then set it aside for at least a couple months or more. Then do the final shaping.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
My uneducated guess is maybe.

Heck I've had straight blanks move after shaping. If it were mine and since I have a duplicator. I would rough cut it then set it aside for at least a couple months or more. Then do the final shaping.

+1

Have it semi inletted and let it sit in a warm, drafty place for a couple of months. It's not just the stresses in the wood. Even a few percent change in moisture can cause them to move. Blanks hold their humidity quite well. Once the bulk of it's mass is removed and the grain opened the water flows in and out of them like a perforated screen door.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll take a chance on it. I've actually got an Allen duplicator, but I've never used it and probably won't. That goes along with all the blanks I'll never use, more than likely. I just like fine wood.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've actually got an Allen duplicator,

Man I wish I had that problem.

I'd be happy to store it for you. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, you should use it at least once, or give it to someone who will.
As for the bent blank, it is good that it did warp/straighten itself out in this stage, instead of later when it is in the shape of a stock. Part of the drying process Most likely the stress is relieved now. Of course, once you cut it, anything might happen.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rough it out a bit then put it aside for a year or so. One of the guns I made in CO warped a bit when I moved back to humid New York.Still shoots a good bit better than 1". Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I've heard about those people who collect wood and tools and never use them. I used to think they were just weird ducks. As it turns out The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons had a meeting in some after hours speakeasy or dive and between the 7th and or 14th martini they decided that it was a legitimate medical or mental disorder and actually gave it a name. Some sort of (*****isum) or (*****itus) if memory serves. The sufferers seem to get over it after they die, or after their wives start adding up all the receipts. Well that ends the same both ways so I guess it's one of those terminal sorts of illnesses. To bad too. Most of them seem like nice guys. Well, outside of that silly wood and tool hording thingy.

coffee No bullshit !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most blanks have moved some since they were cut.

Get it duplicated and have them leave a little extra wood on the forearm and don't cut the barrel channel full size.
Paul, you might check and see how old he is. Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have it semi inletted and let it sit in a warm, drafty place for a couple of months. It's not just the stresses in the wood. Even a few percent change in moisture can cause them to move. Blanks hold their humidity quite well. Once the bulk of it's mass is removed and the grain opened the water flows in and out of them like a perforated screen door.

I had one of those doors, was war surplus off of a submarine. coffee

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW my stocks were always finished inside and out with " waterproof " Polyurethane !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to think they were just weird ducks.

Guilty, but at least I keep the economy moving along.

I bought the duplicator quite a few years back from a guy in Pennsylvania (made for a long drive to get it, I know that) who bought it from Allen (I suppose) and, used it to cut a few blanks and decided that wasn't what he wanted to do. I bought it and all of his blanks. IIRC correctly, I figured the duplicator at 10 grand. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
I used to think they were just weird ducks.

Guilty, but at least I keep the economy moving along.

I bought the duplicator quite a few years back from a guy in Pennsylvania (made for a long drive to get it, I know that) who bought it from Allen (I suppose) and, used it to cut a few blanks and decided that wasn't what he wanted to do. I bought it and all of his blanks. IIRC correctly, I figured the duplicator at 10 grand. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

10 grand is a bargain for an Allen.

Curved blanks: If the curve goes the correct way think cast off!!! I put 3/8" to 1/2" cast off in my stocks, makes lining up those iron sights a lot easier. Of course the pattern must have the correct cast off in it.

Carving: I like to rough out 1/8" oversize then let the blank hang for a month or so before the final to size carving.

Setting the cutter 1/8" oversize: Note the shim under the cutter.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
heck it is just a bunch of scrap metal. Right?? Big Grin

Problem with having a nice duplicator you don't have room for excuses. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
heck it is just a bunch of scrap metal. Right?? Big Grin

Problem with having a nice duplicator you don't have room for excuses. rotflmo

Yea I touched an Allen once, those things will make a Cougar meow!!! Very nice machines.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

Yea I touched an Allen once, those things will make a Cougar meow!!! Very nice machines.

I remember years and years ago going out to Northfield Minnesota on a few occasions to Don Allen's shop. Wow. They were building those machines there and Norma was kind enough to let me stand in a corner and watch a couple of times. But the most fun was walking through all of their wood blanks. There must have been thousands of them there. Of course I didn't have any money, but it was still fun.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato: What's worse is spending years building a shop most guys couldn't even dream about, ten times as nice and many have spent a lifetime earning a living in. Filling it with tools of just about every kind made. Then screwing up your back and can't hardly make it in there, or do much when you do.

I sure hope the next guy is young enough and loves to tinker as I always have. Pure torture to have all this and not be able to use it.

Many times I've wished to have had a duplicator too. Close to running out of space for more equipment though and still couldn't use it.
'Hell of a situation,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Gato: What's worse is spending years building a shop most guys couldn't even dream about, ten times as nice and many have spent a lifetime earning a living in. Filling it with tools of just about every kind made. Then screwing up your back and can't hardly make it in there, or do much when you do.

I sure hope the next guy is young enough and loves to tinker as I always have. Pure torture to have all this and not be able to use it.

Many times I've wished to have had a duplicator too. Close to running out of space for more equipment though and still couldn't use it.
'Hell of a situation,
George

From what I have seen, guys that have a shop or a hobby in their retirement years actually live a lot longer than those who don't. The old adage, "if you don't want to live you are going to die" certainly holds true.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote